Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mitsubishi Pajero Vs Toyota Land Cruiser

Options
  • 16-09-2009 11:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi

I'm need to buy a 4x4 diesel for work and would appreciate some advise on how the Pajero stacks up against the Land Cruiser.

- needs to pull a trailer from time to time
    - a little bit of offroad, although not tricky, mostly sites
    - naturally as fuel efficient as possible
    - looking at 2004 -2006 models

I know that the Pajero should be a few grand cheaper but am wondering if the Land Cruiser is worth the extra in the long run.

thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

The Irish army recently picked the Pajero, for that reason alone Id go with the Land Cruiser.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

A work collegue had both and finds the Land Cruiser is better on fuel despite having a larger engine than the Pajero.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 lazy_larry

Sorry should have clarified its not the Pajero Sport.

3.2L Pajero SWB V's 3.0L Land Cruiser also SWB

(Tipsy Mac, I actually laughed out loud)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

Another vote for the Land Cruiser.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I think my collegues one was the pre 2004 2.8 litre TD Pajaro commerical, definately wasn't the Sport anyway. He now has a 07 Land Cruiser 3.0 litre D-4D commerical and finds it definately better on fuel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,730 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Can't comment on the Paj but I am aware that the cruiser LC120 has issues with the injectors on a lot of them. The cruisers are also holding their value much better than the Paj's in this climate so might be a good time to buy a paj. You won't go very much wrong with either imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Get a Discovery.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

Get a Discovery.

If you want to become good friends with the Land Rover service adviser/warranty person then I would recommend a Discovery as well, if you want reliable driving I'd get anything other than a Land Rover/Range Rover.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,756 ✭✭✭ianobrien

The brother swears by the Land Cruiser, and has called the Pajero lots of nasty names (underpowered, gets stuck easily, wheel-base & ramp angles not great, overheats etc) BUT he does work in the Deserts of the Middle East as an Oil & Gas engineer. I know, not a true reflection of Irish conditions, but breaking down in the middle of the desert can be a problem for one's health...

I've also heard of premature clutch failure on the newer Land-Cruisers which MIGHT be due to the higher first gear in some gearboxes and the Cruiser being used to tow heavy loads. But I got that info second (and third) hand...

If you want to become good friends with the Land Rover service adviser/warranty person then I would recommend a Discovery as well, if you want reliable driving I'd get anything other than a Land Rover/Range Rover.

That's an old wives tale at this stage.

The OP is looking for something between 2004 and 2006.

The Discovery 3 model is much more reliable than it's predecessors. The air suspension makes the ride super comfortable and the in cab spec is pretty good too. It's much nicer to drive than the Pajero or Land cruiser, and certainly better on fuel than the Pajero, and probably equivalent to the Land cruiser, with a longer service interval. It's a bloody good 4X4 tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭gofaster_s13

The Discovery 3 model is much more reliable than it's predecessors. The air suspension makes the ride super comfortable and the in cab spec is pretty good too. It's much nicer to drive than the Pajero or Land cruiser, and certainly better on fuel than the Pajero, and probably equivalent to the Land cruiser, with a longer service interval. It's a bloody good 4X4 tbh.

We see a lot of them here in the garage, I wouldnt take a present of one, they are a nicer drive than the Jap's but not even close to being as reliable.

We see a lot of them here in the garage, I wouldnt take a present of one, they are a nicer drive than the Jap's but not even close to being as reliable.

Have only had one issue with mine so far. Looked after very well and taken in immediately and ready the following day. Other than that I'm extremely happy with it, and very glad I went with one tbh. I travel a lot and it's a very comfortable bus:)

That's an old wives tale at this stage.

The OP is looking for something between 2004 and 2006.

LR are pants. I binned my RRS and the guy who sat beside me in the office today has been back to the dealership 3 times this month with his 08 HSE disco with 8k on it. Replace door locks, replace drivers seat and chassis and some other random problems. They also suffer from paint dribbles, misaligned body components, faulty suspension air compressors, rattles, ARB bushes wear early , driveline shunt, ball joints wear early ...........

Apart from the VAG engine, reliability doesn't belong in the same sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭kildarelad

Landcruisers are fairly reliable do give a little bit of injector problem now and again.Pajeros like to snap the diff in their gearboxes.Id go with the cruiser

E39MSport wrote: »
    LR are pants. I binned my RRS and the guy who sat beside me in the office today has been back to the dealership 3 times this month with his 08 HSE disco with 8k on it. Replace door locks, replace drivers seat and chassis and some other random problems. They also suffer from paint dribbles, misaligned body components, faulty suspension air compressors, rattles, ARB bushes wear early , driveline shunt, ball joints wear early ...........

Apart from the VAG engine, reliability doesn't belong in the same sentence.

Yawn.

I'd take your post seriously were it not for the sentence I've highlighted.

Hey Goiys, I binned my RRS Roysh:rolleyes:

Ok Ross....:rolleyes:

Next time buy a proper Range Rover:pac:

The Disco is a great bus, but if the OP is between a Pajero and a Landcruiser I'd go for the 'Cruiser tbh. It's a nice drive and savage for towing to give it it's due.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 hound1976

I have six jeeps on Fleet at the moment 3 Cruisers and 3 Discos.I would say Disco,s have been more reliable .Currently have an 06 Cruiser with 75,000 km and the turbo has failed .Toyota wont stand over it has the vehicle was registered in January . I have also had injector problems with these jeeps ...

So toyotas reliability in my opinion is a myth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

I have driven both 07 cruiser and pajero, i prefare the interior of the pajero. Seating not bad.

I can get more comfortable in the cruiser.

The cruiser feels more like a work horse to drive gear box heavier etc, plus prefere the way you select low range etc in the land cruiser.

Think id go with the toyota more power, but just!
    Id still be fairly torn if it was my money.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I have not heard of many Turbo problems with the TLC, Was the engine being shut down after towing or high speed running without being allowed to idle for 15-20 seconds?
    That can kill turbos pretty quick.
    I have the old shape 1996-2002 TLC and have found it very reliable.
    In 240k I have replaced a starter motor a set of pads, the Rad, and front and rear shocks.oh the upper control arms also needed doing.
    Apart from routine 6k oil and filter changes thats it.
    The cambelt is easy to replace 20mins will do it.
    You only have to look at how many are on the road compared to the Paj and that says a lot.
    There aren't many in breakers either.

• Registered Users Posts: 417 ✭✭quattro777

A friend has a 05 LC with 100k and FSH which lunched its engine last week.
    I don't know what the fault was but Toyota are covering the cost of replacement.
    A mechanic told him his was the third in the last month.

Yawn.

I'd take your post seriously were it not for the sentence I've highlighted.

Hey Goiys, I binned my RRS Roysh:rolleyes:

Ok Ross....:rolleyes:

Next time buy a proper Range Rover:pac:

The Disco is a great bus, but if the OP is between a Pajero and a Landcruiser I'd go for the 'Cruiser tbh. It's a nice drive and savage for towing to give it it's due.

Odd.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

quattro777 wrote: »
    I don't know what the fault was but Toyota are covering the cost of replacement.
    I have changed 3 or 4 over the last couple of months, it comes down to bad fuel quality or green diesel, the bad fuel causes the injectors to clog and begin knocking, in turn this causes excess carbon in oil which blocks oil pick up pipe in sump and eventually starves engine of oil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 cadster

quattro777 wrote: »
    I have an LC5 04 with just 60k, with FSH, saw this post and nearly fell off my chair, I'm searching for as much info as poss as my engine just 'lunched' as you put it.
    Main dealer has the engine in bits at the mo, scratching their heads. . please any info you can help me with would be greatly appreciated :)

Hi.

Sorry to hear that. They have a rep as a very reliable vehicle. However, I also got rid of a 120 series pretty quickly after buying when the injectors started to give problems.

Check out tlocuk.co.uk. There's a 120 series forum on there and the folks really know their nuts.

Cheers,
    K

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 cadster

Thank you so much for the advice on visiting LCOC . . for anyone interested have a look on the 120 tech forum on 'blown engine' . . . makes for very interesting reading !

No Problem. I was thinking it was you on there.

Anyone owning or thinking of buying a used 120 series LC should check out http://www.tlocuk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6408

• Registered Users Posts: 697 ✭✭✭Theanswers

Land Rover great when working, however that is rare. You need a warrenty.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,395 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

It took you a month to come up with that?

Advertisement