Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What oil type for 2000 (E46) BMW 318i?

Options
  • 16-09-2009 10:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭

I'm going to change the oil in my car soon, but I'm just wondering what's the best oil type (synthetic, semi-synthetic) to use for the car?

If anyone has a brand recommendation, let me know.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭reverandkenjami

Fully Syntethic 0W-30. CastroEdge is recommended

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Tipsy Mac

Id check on castrol.co.uk, it will give the recommended and the amount required.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,239 ✭✭✭Elessar

I have a 2001 320ci and have found that the recommended Castrol 0w-30 burns off very quickly. Every few months I was topping up the oil. I've switched to mobil 1 10w-40 semi-synth as it's thicker.

You might want to consider a thicker oil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭reverandkenjami

Elessar wrote: »
    I have a 2001 320ci and have found that the recommended Castrol 0w-30 burns off very quickly. Every few months I was topping up the oil. I've switched to mobil 1 10w-40 semi-synth as it's thicker.

All the BMW 6 cyls seem to burn oil. Altho i'm sure there's a reason 0-30 is used instead of a thicker oil. Would the thicker oil not do damage to the engine?

All the BMW 6 cyls seem to burn oil. Altho i'm sure there's a reason 0-30 is used instead of a thicker oil. Would the thicker oil not do damage to the engine?

No, it has a certain mark that is recognised as being an approved oil to use in the manual. Can't remember what it is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

OK - will check out the manual.

I was just wondering if a thicker oil would be better given the age of the engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,369 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

The engine in that car is an M43 engine, which when it was in the E36 they used to recommend semi-synth 10W-40. But it seems with the longer servicing intervals on the E46 they recommend fully-synth oil.

On mine i use 10-W40 and change every 10 months ( usually about 7K miles).

I'd be aiming to change the oil about every 7k myself. I've driven the car about 1500 miles since I got it and it's only now that I've got the time to get around to servicing it a bit.

Thanks everyone.

The engine in that car is an M43 engine, which when it was in the E36 they used to recommend semi-synth 10W-40. But it seems with the longer servicing intervals on the E46 they recommend fully-synth oil.

Actually it's the M54 engine 2.2L 170bhp, for which BMW recommend the LL01 Castrol 0w-30.

Actually it's the M54 engine 2.2L 170bhp, for which BMW recommend the LL01 Castrol 0w-30.

It's the M43, 1.9 litre engine with 119 bhp. It's the early model 318i, before they got the newer engine.

• Advertisement

dudara wrote: »
    It's the M43, 1.9 litre engine with 119 bhp. It's the early model 318i, before they got the newer engine.

Oops thought he was refering to my car :rolleyes:

Oops thought he was refering to my car :rolleyes:

A ha! Do you happen to know what the recommended oil is for mine? Castrol on their wesbite mention a Sport Edge (?) oil

Check this http://www.opieoils.co.uk/c-851-oils-for-my-car.aspx

Should also mention what oil types to use in the manual. Longlife01 etc.

Advertisement