Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please help! PLC leading to college course.

Options
  • 16-09-2009 6:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    Was just wondering if anybody could help me with the following:
    I've recently been to a meeting at my local IT,and the man I was speaking with said that I would have no problem meeting the entry requirements for the course I'm interested in,however I am way too late applying,as the course I want is full.
    He suggested I do a PLC course for a year,and apply through the CAO for the IT course in February,and that I would almost certainly get it.
    I've only started doing research on PLC and FAS courses and discovered I would be entitled to a BTEA,as I am unemployed more than 3 months. However I am confused about alot of things.

Questions:
    1. Is it too late to apply for a BTEA,as alot of courses have already started?
    (I know one that still has free places,and some of the FAS ones aren't starting until October.)

2.Are FAS courses treated the same as PLC courses,regarding the BTEA,and Fetac certifications?

3. If my dreams come true,and I am accepted into a PLC course at this late stage, and am granted BTEA, what would happen next year?
    Would I continue to get BTEA for the course in the IT? This is very important as I cannot afford to pay fees,as already in so much debt with bank.

4. If BTEA would NOT be paid for the college course,would I be able to apply for a grant? I know I'm definetly financially eligible,but would the fact that I got one in 2005,and failed the exams still affect that?(I was in 1st year in NUI Galway)
    (I won't qualify for mature student next year,as not 23 on the 1st of january)

Note: I'm 22,unemployed since about march. Did my leaving cert in 2005.

Any information or help as soon as pos,will be really appreciated.
    Thanks in advance for reading.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

Bump. Can anybody help?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 59 ✭✭urban cowboy

Hi, not the best person on here to give the most accurate advice so I’ll just throw what I have to say out there and if anyone knows better perhaps they’ll let you know.

AFIK and as it stands, if you got a grant for a course already and failed the first year, you will have to pay the fees for the first year of the next course that you do. Second year you should get the grant.

BTEA you have to be unemployed for a year, or 9 months laid off to qualify…not sure about this though

As you said, unless over 23 you won’t be considered a mature student. However, after completing a PLC course this can go some way towards getting acceptance. (A guy on the course that I’m doing did this after his LC were his points weren’t good enough but got accepted after doing a PLC)

From what I’ve heard, and as with a lot of things, the grant system and BTEA eligibility requirements could change in the next budget.

I know people on FAS courses were they still get their entitlements, Like with a lot of institutions, some of the courses in FAS are better than others. There's usually a waiting list for the good ones.

Hope this is of some help to you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Little Acorn

Hi, not the best person on here to give the most accurate advice so I’ll just throw what I have to say out there and if anyone knows better perhaps they’ll let you know.

AFIK and as it stands, if you got a grant for a course already and failed the first year, you will have to pay the fees for the first year of the next course that you do. Second year you should get the grant.

BTEA you have to be unemployed for a year, or 9 months laid off to qualify…not sure about this though

As you said, unless over 23 you won’t be considered a mature student. However, after completing a PLC course this can go some way towards getting acceptance. (A guy on the course that I’m doing did this after his LC were his points weren’t good enough but got accepted after doing a PLC)

From what I’ve heard, and as with a lot of things, the grant system and BTEA eligibility requirements could change in the next budget.

I know people on FAS courses were they still get their entitlements, Like with a lot of institutions, some of the courses in FAS are better than others. There's usually a waiting list for the good ones.

Hope this is of some help to you

I think you can get BTEA for PLC courses after 3 months,and a year for college courses,not certain though.I'd really like to know if you get BTEA for a PLC course,will you be allowed to keep getting it, if you get into a college course straight after completing the PLC?
    I was hoping that seeing as so many years had passed since first grant,that I might get it if I couldn't get BTEA,but guess not.
    Good to hear about your friend getting accepted into college after the PLC.
    Thanks for your help.:)

Advertisement