Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Australia - Land of the Omega

Options
  • 16-09-2009 4:21am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭

I'm in Brisbane at the moment and can't walk down the street without seeing at least two Omegas at a time. I'll have to assume they're updated models, even though they don't look it. There's even one of those Omega Coupes (Holden Somethingorother) parked down the street.

I'll say one thing, this country is a petrolhead's paradise. Lots of four litre pickups and the like. Very few BMWs and even fewer Mercs. Plenty of Fords although not many Foci or Mondeos. Very few brand new cars here too, the newest are 3-4 years old at a guess. Petrol prices are great, about $1.20 (€0.80) for Shell E10. There's a weird anti-petrolhead trend as well, probably to counter Australia's pollution problems, in the form of the Prius. There seem to be an awful lot knocking around, although I quite like 'em.

Funnily enough, the first time I noticed about the traffic in Sydney was how quiet it was compared to the old country. Then I realised what it was - most of the cars are automatic. I really could live here if it weren't for the weather, disregard for minimum wage, emphasis on fast food, the list goes on... :rolleyes:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

veCommodore_m_m.jpg

Yeah got to agree with you there. Its a beautiful car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

veCommodore_m_m.jpg

Yeah got to agree with you there. Its a beautiful car.

Nah it's the older version I see mostly. And the Toyotas are odd. I've seen a few old Corrollas rebranded as Holdens :confused:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

The toyotas are probably the american versions with the odd jap one thrown in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

From wikipedia:

The 1988 Holden Commodore was rebadged and sold in OZ as the Toyota Lexcen. This was basically a MkI Opel Omega.

The last European Opel Omega was sold as the Holden Commodore VT in Oz. It was sold from 1997 to 2006 and revisions of the same car were known as the Commodore VX, VY and VZ.

It also spawned the Holden/Vauxhall Monaro coupe from 2001.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

The Holden commodore is a beast. Check out the HSV (limited edition sports tuned) ones http://www.blogcdn.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2006/08/hsvcsr82.jpg. And then check out the Utes- the Maloo is the most outrageous and quickest pick up truck in the world. http://www.zcars.com.au/images/hsv-ve-maloo-r8-ute1.jpg.
    The big Fords out there aint bad either http://www.covercraft-pacific.com/images/2005-07-27b%20127b.jpg

I'd advise trying to get a test drive in any of them. Just dont floor it in second gear going round a bend:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,272 ✭✭✭alias no.9

Holden have been selling badge engineered vehicles borrowed from far and wide for years. In addition to the wider GM (opel/vauxhall, isuzu, chevrolet, daewoo) sourced models, they've had nissans, toyotas, suzukis and probably many others.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Holden do the design work for GM USA's full size car division now, they have been building those Commodores for a long time now and have a lot of experience in that field.
    So likely any new Omegas will have been designed by Holden rather the the other way around.
    I remember the VL series as being some of the nicest to drive they had the Nissan RB20 and RB30 engines similar to the Nissan skyline of that era, they also made a RB30T with a Turbo. Very nice and smooth with good poke.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

The 'Omegas' your talking about are Holden Commodores - a name thats been used for eon's in Austriala ( The was an Opel Commodore in the 70's here too ).

Fords equivalent is the Falcon - another moniker used for 25yrs or so.

Both are powered by an absolute myriad of different engines and specs and seem to have a new one out every week. When I lived there I had a subscription to Aussie Autocar and can honestly say the mag never failed to have a fight out between the latest incarnation Falcon and Commodore on the cover.

Australia is odd in that a country with such small population would have its own car industry producing market specific models at what has to be said are simply incredible value for what you get !

BTW - Make your mind up, your a Ford or a Holden guy. There is no in the middle there and I've heard of fist fights breaking out over which is better. ( I am a Ford guy - in Aus, Europe or US ).
    You'll find most Holden guys easy to spot - they are generally dimmer to converse with ! :-)

Advertisement