Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why I Love God

Options
  • 16-09-2009 2:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭

This is something I wrote a few years ago, detailing some reasons why I love God.

Why I Love God

My initial thoughts...

God gave me life. He has saved my life. He has given me everything I have. I am nothing without him. I am so thankful for what I have.
    I need make the most out of my life, for my time here is short(and maybe shorter than I know), and this life on earth is a one-time thing. I am disappointed in myself for not always putting forth 110 percent effort in all things.
    My desire is to further my relationship with God, through prayer, fasting, and reading His Word. I pray for spiritual understanding of His word, and discernment. Through this, I hope to further my understanding of His will, and how I should live my life.

What about this life?
    Daily worries, times of trouble, disaster, suffering, and loss are part of life, and they are very "trying" on a person's spirit. But... can these temporary things compare to eternity, eternity in paradise? Our time as earthly beings is finite. Even if you live to be 400,000 years old, your day will come.
    If you are immortal, there is no end, not after a million years, or a billion.....it never ends. Our life after this one is more important on a scale of impossible proportions.

God is good...
    How is it we are given life, given the way to salvation, an opportunity to have everlasting life with our Creator in heaven, and all we have to do is follow God's word for the very short time we live in this world?
    God created man and woman in his image. He has led us every step of the way, only asking for his creation to follow His will. Mankind failed, time and time again. We have disappointed Him.

What did God do?
    He sent His only begotten Son into the world, as a man. To me, this is like saying, "Here, this is how it's done. My Son will show you the way, as a mortal man. He is a living, breathing, walking, talking example of how to live. It is possible."
    Jesus Christ, the Son of God, showed mankind what love is. He perfectly represented the fullness of God's love. He showed us the way, and gave two commandments which are the path to righteousness.

What should we do?
    Love God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind.
    I would assume loving God would include:
    -Believing in Him
    -Following His will and obeying His commandments.

Love thy neighbor as thyself.
    To be a true Christian, one must love everyone.
    I think love in this sense is basically "showing love" and having compassion. It may not be the same love you feel for your family, or the love of your life... but it is still love.
    Love is a force that brings all life into perfect harmony.

By loving others, we:
    -Love God's creation
    -Create and spread peace
    -Uplift spirits
    -Inspire others to act with love
    -Represent Christ, by showing how great God's love is.

Jesus Christ died for our sins. He shed His blood to atone for the sins of the world. By believing in Him, and accepting Him as our Savior, we are given everlasting life. We are all sinners. But God has given us the opportunity to repent for our sins, and to strive to live like Jesus did.
    Jesus Christ lived a perfect life, and in doing so, served as the ultimate example, the ultimate sacrifice for all mankind.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

This is something I wrote a few years ago, detailing some reasons why I love God..

Could I ask what you wrote it for? It makes a pretty good prayer to read it from start to finish, good job.

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭chozometroid

prinz wrote: »
    Could I ask what you wrote it for? It makes a pretty good prayer to read it from start to finish, good job.
    I felt inspired to answer the question and really lay down my reasons for loving God and what makes Him worth living for.

I felt inspired to answer the question and really lay down my reasons for loving God and what makes Him worth living for.

Why not :D If they are your 'initial' thoughts, any chance of getting an updated version..like secondary thoughts ;) I only ask because I seriously appreciated that post, easy to read, easy to digest, and covered all the bases in my book.

On the inspiration point, I am kind of struggling with that one. I try to live my life as best I can with Jesus in mind, but I often get the feeling I am missing out on something. My OH who is the "real" Christian ( she brought me back to the faith ) often tells me she was inspired to do things, she's involved in lots of programmes like free tutoring, after hours chuch services, and most recently an anonymous letter writing programme which I still don't understand, but behind it all she tells me she felt the inspiration. I do things without a second thought more or less. I have never really AFAIK felt inspired to do something in particular..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

One question. It doesn't bother you that even with all the infinite knowledge and forsight of an omnipotent, omniscient being, that he was incapable of creating a more robust being than a human?
    Before you say "but he gave us free will!" there can be no free will in a system created by a being that knows everything past, present and future if there is free will in the system than the creator is not a god.

One question..... the creator is not a god.

It was good while it lasted. There's a rule in the Islam forum that I believe is starting to be sorely missed here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

Free will discussion moved here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭dubois90

this is dumb. god isnt real.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Good, POSITIVE post Chozo. May your faith always increase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭Stephentlig

I agree with the above poster, but I would just let them have their rant.
    I mean I'm not here long but, how many times have I read ''God isnt real'' '' do you actually beleive there is a God? wow your dumb''

just pray for them and avoid them, unless they have a sincere question to ask its not worth the bother, they are asking a question usually to start a debate and we all know the devil is the big arguer.

so just leave'em be I suppose.

God bless
    Stephen

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭chozometroid

prinz wrote: »
    Why not :D If they are your 'initial' thoughts, any chance of getting an updated version..like secondary thoughts ;) I only ask because I seriously appreciated that post, easy to read, easy to digest, and covered all the bases in my book.

On the inspiration point, I am kind of struggling with that one. I try to live my life as best I can with Jesus in mind, but I often get the feeling I am missing out on something. My OH who is the "real" Christian ( she brought me back to the faith ) often tells me she was inspired to do things, she's involved in lots of programmes like free tutoring, after hours chuch services, and most recently an anonymous letter writing programme which I still don't understand, but behind it all she tells me she felt the inspiration. I do things without a second thought more or less. I have never really AFAIK felt inspired to do something in particular..
    Thanks. Updated version? Maybe someday. :)

As for inspiration, I guess you just need to find it, or ask God to give it to you (guaranteed results :p). Take a step back and look at yourself, your OH, and the world around you. Think about what drives you, what it is that you hope to accomplish, and what a difference you want to make.
    For me, the two main examples I can give is when I read the Bible, or think about how God has helped me throughout my life. It is usually after thinking on these things that I feel inspired to do something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭Soul Winner

Love thy neighbor as thyself.
    To be a true Christian, one must love everyone.
    I think love in this sense is basically "showing love" and having compassion. It may not be the same love you feel for your family, or the love of your life... but it is still love.
    Love is a force that brings all life into perfect harmony.

If this is true then we are in pretty bad shape.

The "Love thy neighbor" initiative which was the brainchild of the Evangelical Alliance of Ireland shows that as a society we are not very love thy neighbor like in the sense you put forth. See here

I feel like Robindch posting this :eek:

EDIT: For the record, my neighbors and I still take turns doing each other's weely bins. :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

The "Love thy neighbor" initiative which was the brainchild of the Evangelical Alliance of Ireland shows that as a society we are not very love thy neighbor like in the sense you put forth. See here I feel like Robindch posting this :eek:
    Awww, that's so sweet of you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Escapism...

God is who you ask for help when you are in trouble, when you worry, when you care...

Advertisement