Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aquired Taste.

Options
  • 16-09-2009 1:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭

I spent all this evening re-listening to a couple of albums that seemed that bit inaccessible when I first listen to them:
    Mecca & The Soul Brother - Pete Rock & CL Smooth
    Kamal The Abstract - Q-Tip

And man they blew me away when I went over them again.

I acquired taste is one of those phrases that people throw around to make themselves sound more important than they actually are, or to comfort a friend they may feel feels unrefined. However am I thinking lately, Hip-Hop actually needs some tasting process before it can be made listenable.
    Like I nearly cried over They Reminisce Over You tonight and last time it just seemed like a good song.
    Does anyone agree with me?

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

ì think i know what you are getting at. I think that it is more a case of becoming more mature, when you first listen to an album you can dismiss it quite easily but a few years later with a bit more sense and reason about yourself, you appreciate it more.

It's happened to me with a few albums too, recently on another thread i mentioned U-Gods forst solo album, but there are others.

You should also listen to The Main Ingredient by Pete Rock and CL Smooth, similar to Mecca and the Soul Brother but I think that it is a slightly better album.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭horsebox09

Yeah i agree with ya, alot of the unique sounding hip hop albums can take awhile to get into.
    I was like that with cannibal ox - the cold vein, hated it at 1st and didn't listen it again for ages, then one night i threw it on and it just clicked.

Thats what i love about hip hop, so many different sounds, i think thats why it can take time to really appreciate some albums/artists.

Aesop rock and Kool Keith are artists that i definetly think are an acquired taste, some people adore their music and others hate it, it just takes awhile to get used to all the different styles.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

ì was the same with Can Ox, i first heard the F Word when it was released as a single and vowed never to listen to Can Ox again. But the Cold Vein is absolutely superb.

Dont start talking about Aesop Rock or Orizio might get angry :D

Oh, and you'll be glad to hear that Kool Keith has a new album dropping this year too.

Some other albums i didnt get into when they where first released:

Biggie - Ready To Die
    Qwel - Rubber Ducky Expreiment
    Deep Puddle Dynamics - The Taste Of Rain Why Kneel

These are all classics to me now.

• Registered Users Posts: 764 ✭✭✭horsebox09

Haha im not much of an aesop rock fan i like some of his stuff but alot of the time i don't know what he's talking about, his voice sometimes annoys me aswell!

KK dropping another album, that man will never give up, hes a legend though!

I haven't heard that Qwel album in full but from what i did hear it's different from his other stuff.

Latest album that ive started to really like is Masta Ace - a long hot summer.

By the way i don't anybody liked the cold vein when they 1st heard it, i don't know what it is about that album!

horsebox09 wrote: »
    Haha im not much of an aesop rock fan i like some of his stuff but alot of the time i don't know what he's talking about, his voice sometimes annoys me aswell!
    His book that he released with fast cars, fire, danger and knives is actually really handy for decyphering his lyrics.

• Advertisement
Advertisement