Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Broken into

Options
  • 15-09-2009 11:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭

Hi- Car was broken into last night in Dublin - a few things taken + the hassle of a broken window - I reported the theft, but just wondering if anyone has ever got anything that was stolen recovered?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭leeroybrown

No one I know whose car was broken into got anything back. Be careful when dealing with your insurance company. I know someone whose insurance company refused to pay out for damage or loss of property because there was no evidence of entry (an easy model to break into) and a possibility that one item of property might have been visible through one of the windows.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

Hi- Car was broken into last night in Dublin - a few things taken + the hassle of a broken window - I reported the theft, but just wondering if anyone has ever got anything that was stolen recovered?

Yes - my car was broken into in Crumlin a few years back & I got everything back within the hour after reporting it to the Guards.

No wait.. that last bit was a dream.

Cops didn't even show up to get a statement & told me contact my insurance company. They didn't pat out as I'd no reciepts for the stuff that was nicked.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,912 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

about 350 worth taken (probably my excess so no point claiming)---nothing on view, but i think i was being watched when putting satnav in the boot. insurance covered the glass but there is a bit of damage to the door frame where they wedged in some tool to break the glass, and a bit of the machinery for lifing the window has cracked so i dont imagine it will work for too long---seriously annoying though---happened on a previous car as well, impossible to remove all the glass from inside the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,620 ✭✭✭Graham_B18C

My car was broken into about two years ago, I rang the guards, went up and reported it, sent the report into FBD and got 200 quid for the glasses that were taken. They have €400 worth of personal belongings covered on thier policy. Was pretty handy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

There's a reason why I leave nothing of value in my car.

Common sense people!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,763 ✭✭✭Muckie

Not nice at all, your gonna keep on finding bit of glass for years!

Hope your insurance can help, if the door is totally wrecked, a visit

to your local scrapyard might be in order.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Smokerkl

Mine was broken into couple of month ago in Cork City, reported to Garda and made statement etc etc, I know its my fault but I left my Passport and driving licence in the glovebox which got nicked also which I am gutted and cant believe they stole my daughters car seat, bag of nappies,wipes and toys---Aswell as the stereo cd's loose change etc etc, also the spare wheel and tools from the boot pretty much took everything except the few quids worth of diesel in the tank and my alloy wheels for some bizarre reason!!!!! Anyway sorry for rambling but the Gardai did phone me a few weeks after the event and asked me to describe the car seat and tools that was taken but unfortunately my description didn't match what he had I jokingly asked him if I could have them anyway and he jokingly told me to bugger off!!! SO on a pleasent note at least somebody got arrested for nicking stuff even if it wasn't mine..
    S..
    P.S. Insurance wouldnt cover cost of passport(184 euro British Passport) because "I shouldn't have left it in the car".....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,496 ✭✭✭quarryman

How does the insurance company decide what you "should not leave in the car"?

Do they cover any contents?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 StuartC

Police wont do much.

Best thing to do is have a look a few hundred yards radius, they usually throw away what they dont want.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Smokerkl

quarryman wrote: »
    How does the insurance company decide what you "should not leave in the car"?

Do they cover any contents?

They told me anything of value that is removable should always be removed!! Surely the thieves dont have x ray bloody vision to look into the glove box?? I reckon they only cover stereo(if the face is not removable from head unit) and seats!!! Who in their right mind takes in the baby seat to the house every night?
    S..

• Advertisement
Advertisement