Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Room replastered and electrics.

Options
  • 15-09-2009 11:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Hi Folks,

I am looking for some quick advice and would appreciate your help.

We have just stripped our sitting room of plaster to fix a leak and to put up some insulation (Kingspan product with plasterboard & insulation combined). Before we get it replastered we were thinking of a few things and I am hoping somebody could set me straight.

I want to add a window and motion sensor to our alarm at some stage, so if:

- I run a 8-core alarm cable from the window to the alarm panel would that be okay?
    - I run a 8-core alarm cable (separate run) from the ceiling corner to the alarm panel would that be okay (for a possible motion sensor)?
    - Is alarm cable okay for a wired smoke detector?
    - Does alarm cable need to be enclosed in anything to protect it from the insulation?

We were also thinking of running a cable from the lights and sockets to the outside wall incase we build an extension in the future, the sockets end in that room. Can we just finish the tee in a junction box and connect to it in the future? Is that allowed?

Thanks for any help?

B.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,674 ✭✭✭✭altor

bjroche wrote: »
    I want to add a window and motion sensor to our alarm at some stage, so if:

- I run a 8-core alarm cable from the window to the alarm panel would that be okay?
    - I run a 8-core alarm cable (separate run) from the ceiling corner to the alarm panel would that be okay (for a possible motion sensor)?
    - Is alarm cable okay for a wired smoke detector?
    - Does alarm cable need to be enclosed in anything to protect it from the insulation?

Hi bjroche,

The cables you are running are grand once they go back to the alarm panel. Any exposed cables need to be trunked or hidden in the walls. The insulation wont have any effect on the alarm cable. The cable for the smoke is fine too as it uses 12v power provided off the alarm panel.
    Hope this helps..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

get a sparkie to make provision for extension wiring.sitting room circuits may do if it's small.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭bjroche

One further quick question. We are thinking of using sheepwool as the insulation material. Should we leave a gap between the existing lighting and socket circuit cables and the insulation and if so, how much? The cables are ust running through the joists.

Advertisement