Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

October weekend in Clare

Options
  • 15-09-2009 11:00pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

As our kids have only really seen the east coast / midlands of Ireland ( they are 10 and 7) we want to bring them to somewhere like Clare to see the cliffs of Moher, the burren etc etc. over the October weekend. Where would be a good town to base ourselves (ideally coastal) - Roundstone? Lahinch? Ennis? any recommendations?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

Hi Jenny,

I think Lahinch is a good base, we stayed there two years ago in a B&B, will PM you the name of it when I find out from the boyfriend cos I dont remember! This place was terrible, we were in bed and there was a lot of noise going on downstairs, went down just to see what was going on, the "lady" of the house opened the door of the sitting room after I knocked just said that we couldnt sleep and could they keep it down, she said "we own the house, can do what we want" and slammed the door in my face! Esp wtih kids this wouldnt be the best place!

Sorry no good recommendations!

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭lauratkd

I would say Lahinch is definitely a good place to base yourself as you will also be close to the Ailwee caves. I don't think there is a huge amount for kids to do near Roundstone... Also Ennis is about 30 minutes from the coast so might be a bit far if you just want to stick near the coast. THere is a lot in Co. Clare though so if you're plannign to take in Bunratty and Craggaunowen , ENnis might be better...

• Registered Users Posts: 23,937 ✭✭✭✭phog

I love the west coast of Clare but because I'm from Limerick I rarely stay overnight except when using the caravan park in Fanore. However a few years back I did stay in the Ballyvaughan Lodge and would highly recommend it for a base. The B&B is great and the town of Ballyvaughan is ideally situated for touring the Burren and the west coast. Ballyvaughan will probably be less crowded than the likes of Lehinch.

If the Burren is your main attraction then you should try to pick up a copy of the Burren Journey West, this is probably the best of a trilogy for the Burren.

Hope you enjoy your visit westwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭finbarrk

Isn't Roundstone in Galway? Ennis would be the most central place to stay and there are good hotel deals available now. The West County hotel has a pool which might suit the kids. Another nice spot is Spanish Point, 2 hotels there, the Armada and the Bellbridge.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 jennybgood

Thanks to all who gave me some pointers on where to stay ( now booked - place in Enistymon) in Clare with the kids - however, what I was really looking for was some pointers on where to 'visit' around the Clare coast -apart from the obvious Cliffs, the Caves in Ballyvaughan. I stupidly thought Roundstone was in the area but as Finbarrk points out = that is in Galway ( lucky I'm not doing the navigation!). Spanish point I believe is nice so.... where else should we go along the coast for views etc.?
    Thanks

• Advertisement

Definatley take a drive out the 'Dunlicky rd.' from Kilkee, it's some fantastic scenery of cliffs and the road just follows the shape of the cliffs. Well worth a visit.
    The pic here is on a nice walking route in the same area.

http://mybt.budgettravel.com/_Kilkee-Ireland-Cliffs/photo/3765349/21864.html

Call to Eugenes pub in Ennistymon, it's a grand spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

ailiwee caves are 1000 times better than the caves you'll find outside doolin, don't be fooled , its a bit of a Father Ted like experience.

There isn't really a whole lot to do out there, except for wander around the cliffs and through the burren for a bit, the scenery is great (when its not raining) but there are few activities.....

You could go horseriding, theres a place just outside lahinch on the way to the Cliffs. Theres a swimming pool in lahinch if ye don't fancy braving the warmth of the atlantic, they're probably too young to chance a surfing lesson in lahinch. There's a few really nice walks along the Green Roads (old roads cleared though the burren during famine times) between fanore and ballyvaughan, hard to find without a guide book (the natives took down all the signs years ago). Only other thing I can think of would be a boat trip (go from Doolin and sometimes liscannor) , weather permitting / or a trip over to the Aran islands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

finbarrk wrote: »
    Call to Eugenes pub in Ennistymon, it's a grand spot.

surely the first time "Ennistymon" and "grand spot" have ever been used in the same sentence !

seriously

growler wrote: »
    surely the first time "Ennistymon" and "grand spot" have ever been used in the same sentence !

seriously

I'd prefer it to where you are anyway.

Advertisement