Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Displaying ads/data on multiple separate sites

Options
  • 15-09-2009 9:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭

A client has a site that has ads for property - a bit like daft.ie in that people post ads. The client is thinking of "productising" his site and selling variations of it to others. The variations would be franchise-like in that they would be independently owned but have connections to the original site, and to the other sites.

Ads posted on the other sites would be listed on all sites in the group. What is a good way to manage this?

My first idea was to have a separate hosting account where the db would hold the listings for all sites. All sites would retrieve data from this account. This is probably not good as it puts a large load on that db and is a single point of failure.

Another thought was to push changes from each site to the others, maybe by cron. I think that an ad would only be editable on the site where it was originally submitted - this would prevent having different versions of ads.

What other, better ways could this be achieved?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭lostprophetsie

Would using RSS feeds from the main site be any help?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭daymobrew

Would using RSS feeds from the main site be any help?
    An ad could be submitted from any of the affiliate/partner sites so each site would have to have RSS feeds from all sites.

Since the ads are for different categories e.g. house in Dublin, apartment in London etc, a visitor to one of the sites would have to be able to search by type and location.

I have asked the client to list the scenarios involved (pseudo code in a sense) and I hope that this will clarify what he is looking for.

Advertisement