Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donating Blood?

Options
  • 15-09-2009 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭

How coome you can't donate blood ever if you ever had a blood transfusion? I was looking forward to being able to only to discover I will never be able too:(.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭Phototoxin

Because they need excuses not blood... :confused:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

You may have developed antibodies against antigens found on the blood you received that you dont have on your own red blood cells. Giving blood with high levels of antibodies in them to patients is a Bad Thing, as it may result in the antibodies reacting with the patient cells and targetting them for destruction.

On the topic of blood donation, do you need to know your blood type to donate? I don't know mine, but want to donate as soon as I can (not 18 yet, and have been to a malarial area at Easter)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

No, they perform typing when the blood is being prepared into various products.

Advertisement