Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed on PLC Comp Science courses

Options
  • 15-09-2009 5:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I need some help figuring out which PLC college to apply for. I am currently enrolled in Colaiste Dulaigh in Coolock Dub, for the Computer Science course, which is FETAC level 5 and 6(2 years) and covers programming, web authoring and comp architecture. There is a gateway, upon successful completion, into the second year honours degree programme of Computer Science/Software Development at DIT. However, I'm 33 and everyone doing the course is 18/19 and the college doesn't really have any mature students, so feel a lot out of place. The second college I'm interviewing for, is Whitehall and the course title is Software Systems and covers pretty much the same subjects and is FETAC level 5 and 6, with a gateway into ITB, second year higher certificate in Science and Computing. Getting into the degree programme at DIT sounds better to me, but have been out of education so long, maybe ITB is better for gaining employment?I'm not from Dublin so have never heard of it. I would ultimately like to get into the software development field. Please help ;-)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

Hiroshige wrote: »
    Getting into the degree programme at DIT sounds better to me, but have been out of education so long, maybe ITB is better for gaining employment?I'm not from Dublin so have never heard of it. I would ultimately like to get into the software development field. Please help ;-)

The course in ITB can be followed by another two years to give an honours degree, exactly the same as DIT, so don't let that bother you. It's just that the ITB course is more modularised, so you essentially get a certificate, an ordinary degree and then an honours degree.

DIT is around much longer that ITB, so is more established, but the ultimate qualification is the same, they are both Level 8 on the HETAC scale.

Before I go any further, in the interest of full disclosure, I should point out that I worked in ITB and lectured on that particular course you refer to.

To answer your other question, yes, it would help you get into the software development field. I wouldn't, however, say one college is better than the other in terms of employment prospects.

Advertisement