Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

MX5 advice

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65,037 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Looks like a lot of fun for very little money :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭ChristyCent

unkel wrote: »
    Looks like a lot of fun for very little money :)

I know which is why it broke my little heart when I got told I cant get insured in it :(

Surely there must be some companies who'll insure under 30's in this?

Surely there must be some companies who'll insure under 30's in this?

The only way you can answer that question is by ringing all insurance companies and brokers. Seriously, all of them!

Out of interest, what age are you and how much no claims bonus do you have?

Nineteen (same age as the car lol) with 2 years no claims.

I was on to quinn earlier and the woman told me I just needed a full license (which I have) and then said oh wait no you need to be at least thirty too.

i also dropped into the local brokers and was laughed at .

Oh, some more info here. Summary: if you are over 25, you will be able to get classic car insurance on that MX-5 from next year because it will qualify when it is 20 years old. With a full NCB we are talking a couple of hundred euro here :)

I'm paying €350 fully comp* for my 310BHP classic Porsche :D

*although I hasten to add that it was a while since I was 25 :D

• Advertisement

Nineteen (same age as the car lol) with 2 years no claims.

Ouch! You won't need to wait 11 years but do give all insurers a call - you might be surprised :)

I never knew you had to be 25 to get classic insurance.

Can you insure more than one person on classic insurance? Is so I might insure myself on mammys bora and get her to insure the mazda and put each other as a named drivers

• Registered Users Posts: 9,701 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Tbh I'd say it has more to do with where you're from, rather than your age, I'm just generalising, don't take offence :)

Tbh I'd say it has more to do with where you're from, rather than your age, I'm just generalising, don't take offence :)

I got really paronoid there till i realised I updated my profile lol.

The wierd thing is not too long ago quinn were giving me quotes of 1600 in a 1.8 golf but now they wont even quote me on the internet in my own car

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 PrincessL

Hi, have you tried hibernian for a quote? I found them great for my mx5, had the same story with quinn due to age.

Best of luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,701 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

That's your problem, on the internet.

And yeah, I saw Ballyfermot and alarm bells went :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Try 123.ie

I stuck in my details (22/M/2 NCD) and was quoted 1700 or so.

Hmmm never knew they made a turbo version...

just checked 123.ie there and got quoted 2200 which is actually not too bad considering I was paying that in a micra 2 years ago lol.

I think I'll ring hibernian tomorrow and see what happens, hopefullt I'll get a decent quote and then the only thing left to do is sell my other car which could be difficult

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

I found Aviva (Hibernian) incredibly expensive for run-of-the-mill cars

You'll also have to do the ignition course.

This has me salivating

B00MSTICK wrote: »
    I found Aviva (Hibernian) incredibly expensive for run-of-the-mill cars

You'll also have to do the ignition course.

This has me salivating

Thats a pretty serious machine alright :D

123 gave me the best online quote I think I'll give them a call tomorrow and try knock it down a few quid

Advertisement