Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Will self oil and filter change affect warranty?

Options
  • 15-09-2009 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

Quick question:

Will my cars warranty (Ford Focus) be affected if I do an intermediate oil and filter change myself between garage services?

Its not due a service for a few thousand miles but the oil is looking fairly poor.

Would a generic Halfords oil filter be ok?

I'd probably use high quality 5w30 oil - castrol or similar.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭The Real B-man

Get a Ford Filter from the Stealers Less than a tenner changing the oil isnt going to affect your warrantly unless it goes horrible wrong!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

I'd generally try to keep the servicing to the main dealers, until the warranty expires.

A focus needs to be serviced every 20,000kms, so keep it serviced in the main dealers (does not have to be a ford garage) and make sure to get the book stamped. I cant see any problem with you changing the oil between the 20k interval however. Shouldn't affect it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,219 ✭✭✭leex

If it's a DIY oil change I would tend to get oil and filter from the Ford Dealer and keep the receipt. Some Fords (older ones definitely) preferred the Ford oil - don't ask me why.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,932 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

EngTech wrote: »
    Quick question:

Will my cars warranty (Ford Focus) be affected if I do an intermediate oil and filter change myself between garage services?

Its not due a service for a few thousand miles but the oil is looking fairly poor.

How is the oil looking poor? If the car was last serviced by a main dealer then it shold be the correct oil which will last till the next service. All oil gets sutty after a while but it'll still work just as well.
    Would a generic Halfords oil filter be ok?

I'd probably use high quality 5w30 oil - castrol or similar.

The filter is one of the most important parts of the car, never get a cheap spurious one and it's always advisable to replace it with an OEM part. Only use the oil specified in your manual, spending extra money isn't worth it as Ford has spend millons to find out what's best for your car.

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

If you are planning to do an additional oil change but still allow all scheduled servicing to be done by the dealer (ie an extra in between oil change) then use a genuine filter and don’t tell them.

If the oil change you plan on doing is part of the scheduled service then by doing it yourself you are in breach of BER regs and it could effect your warranty, assuming you are not a qualified mechanic. Scheduled service work must be carried out as per manufacturers schedule, with either OE parts or parts of equal quality and the work must be carried out by a qualified mechanic.

• Advertisement
Advertisement