Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Northern Ireland car insurance?

Options
  • 15-09-2009 3:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hi,

I am moving to northern Ireland next week from the republic. I will be going to college up there and I want to keep my irish reg car. I'm having difficulty getting car insurance or at least finding a company in the north that will cover me with my full irish licence on my irish reg car. Insurance companies in the republic wont cover me because I will be spending most of my time in the north.

Surely other people have had to do this before? Can anyone give me some info and suggestions?:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,113 ✭✭✭homer911

I think you have indirectly answered your own question. Nobody here will suggest insuring your car in the south, if you intend to keep it in the north - if you had an accident the insurance company might not pay out.

Only real option is to buy a car up north (or reregister your own) - should be cheaper than in the south anyway..

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Moved to Motors.

You might get more suggestions here OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

This question arises with students in both directions. Perhaps someone like Allianz that operates on both sides could come up with a quote. The best thing is to have it insured in the South though with someone that acknowledges the situation, this way you get an insurance disc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 sailorswan

work out the number of days you will be in the South - you may find there is a claus in your insurance alls you so many days away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 feefi

Thanks for all the help!

From what I was told by an insurance broker in the republic I have to get my insurance in the north. She couldnt find any company in the south that would cover me. But I will try a few more companies tomorrow and see if I get any results. I will def try Allianz!

Most insurance in the south will only cover for up to 30 days out of the country and I will be in the north for most of the insurance year.

I'm just surprised that its so difficult! What do people living on the boarder do!?

• Advertisement
Advertisement