Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unusual bird

Options
  • 15-09-2009 12:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

Well, unusual as far as I am concerned as I never saw one. It was spotted in Co. Kilkenny about 5 miles from the town.

It was very similar to a white stork, but without the black wingtips. Completely white. I was not much bigger than a farmyard duck, but with a long slender body.

I was out walking my Pointer the other evening and we came accross the bird, he got up and flew no more than twnety yards on when our paths crossed. He had a really big slow relaxed flight but didnt look like he wouldn't fly too far. We met him agin on the way back home about an hour later and he wa sstill feeding in the same shallow stream.

We have a large crane in the same area also, but this lad was very ususual.

Just wonder can anybody put my mind to rest and identify this bird.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Gortglas

Egret01.jpg

Actually, after some more googling, it seems it was one of these chaps. Anybody know exactly what it is ???

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Mabel

Hey Gortglas. 'tis a Little Egret. Lovely birds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 Gortglas

Thanks.

Thought it was some type of Heron / Crane. Thanks for the clarification, never saw one before.

• Registered Users Posts: 421 ✭✭stevensi

That picture is not a little egret (although i would think that you did see one) The little egret has black legs with bright yellow feet the egret in your picture is a great egret i think. The little egret has become quite common these days and now it looks like the cattle egret might be the next to breed in Ireland...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

The Great Egret has Black Legs and Feet. I think the photo is of one of the Reef Egrets from down under. I'm sure the OP saw a Little Egret though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement