Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red ink tattoo query

Options
  • 15-09-2009 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I'm looking to have a red tattoo done, and i'm wondering does every tattoo artist do this or will i have to find someone who does? the reason i ask is when i got my first tat done, i wanted it in brown ink and the guy told me it would fade so wouldn't do it. i got it done in black in the end and actually quite like the way it has faded a bit over the years.

Did a search there on boards for my Q but couldn't find it, if it has been answered elsewhere than apologies!

Ta

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

There should be no problem with getting a red tattoo done. My bio-mech heart is primarily red (as you'd expect) and there's no probs with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

Every place should do red in a tattoo. Just be wary of reactions to it though, i read online that some people have a serious reaction to red ink for some reason. I have some on my back and leg and there was no reaction thankfully.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

My tattoo is fully red and I had no problem getting it done and no reaction. Nothing was even said to me about people having a reactions so I'm assuming it should be fine.

I believe reactions to red ink were more common in the past when the colour (I may be wrong on this) was mainly using metal oxides to get the red pigment.

The problem here is that the inks are not regulated, so the make-up of the inks varies from one manufacturer to another.

If you go to a reputable tattoo parlour then they will be using tried and trusted inks, so the chance of reaction are much much less, but allergies are not predictable, and you can even develop an allergy years down the line (to anything!)

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭keevita

cheers for the advice!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭QOTSA90

I believe reactions to red ink were more common in the past when the colour (I may be wrong on this) was mainly using metal oxides to get the red pigment.

There were cases of mercury being used.. MERCURY!:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Delorian

keevita wrote: »
    ...when i got my first tat done, i wanted it in brown ink and the guy told me it would fade so wouldn't do it...

Does anyone know what the story with brown ink fading is? I'm not brave enough to get anything too strong on my forearms, but think a subtle brown design could be ok for me. Being pastey white, I'd like it to look like a mid to dark tan colour. Is there a decent chance this would fade away to nothing? Does it depend on the skill of the tattooist as well as the colour & after-care?

• Registered Users Posts: 39,106 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

My bio-mech heart is primarily red

Pic?

This was immediately after it was done (you can actually still see a drop or two of blood)
    attachment.php?attachmentid=84683&stc=1&d=1247174925

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Kitty k

If you are worried about red ink you should ask the artist to do a "test patch" to see how well it heals for you I have heard of reactions but never seen one apparently your body tries to reject the ink so the Tattoo wont heal until all the ink is gone.or so I have heard!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 hibrat

I got a pretty bad reaction to red ink about 2 years ago. While the ink didn't reject, the area looked really raised and scarred for a very long time and kinda messed up the healing...in saying that I got the area touched up when i was adding to it last year (in a diff studio-possibly diff brand of red ink?) and it healed perfectly-happy days :)

Advertisement