Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shower Fitting - Who does it & How much does it cost?

Options
  • 15-09-2009 10:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Our electric shower needs to be replaced and I was wondering who can do this; is it an electrician or a plumber or someone else??? I also was wondering how much it should cost to swap out an old shower for a new one - wiring and piping is already in place - may even try this myself. Thinking of going for the Mire Elite as the replacement. All comments welcomed - Thx

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45,916 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Moved to DIY

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

anywhere around -450 - 650. PM me if you want someone to fit one. The cheaper price is wiring and plumbiing dependent.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 SoldOut

anywhere around -450 - 650. PM me if you want someone to fit one. The cheaper price is wiring and plumbiing dependent.

Is that for the shower as well? After I bought a new electric shower I got a plumber to switch it with the old one for 40 euro.

SoldOut wrote: »
    Is that for the shower as well? After I bought a new electric shower I got a plumber to switch it with the old one for 40 euro.

Do you need a shower? I dont understand why you are asking or is it just your querying why plumbers charge between 450 and 650. Yes this price includes the shower as well.

If you got a shower fitted for 40 euro you done very well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 curiousj

They want to charge me €180 to fit the new shower even though the plumbing and wiring are already in place from the old one - I just think that €180 is very expensive - I would have thought more like €50-80 max - shouldn't take more than an hour if you know what you are doing surely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Most guys have a call out cost of around 60-80. Im not defending it but I can understand it as they dont know what is involved until they arrive. Add in 80 for the job and you are at the 140-160 level. Offer 140 and see if they will do it for that. Also they may do it cheaper if they provide the shower box as they can write off the VAT and you cant.

curiousj wrote: »
    They want to charge me €180 to fit the new shower even though the plumbing and wiring are already in place from the old one - I just think that €180 is very expensive - I would have thought more like €50-80 max - shouldn't take more than an hour if you know what you are doing surely.

The price for the change over of an electric shower is 150 euro. This assumes there is no problems to deal with, I dont set the prices. I dont actually do the work I am just know the price as i hired all the trades
    kmick wrote: »
    Most guys have a call out cost of around 60-80. Im not defending it but I can understand it as they dont know what is involved until they arrive. Add in 80 for the job and you are at the 140-160 level. Offer 140 and see if they will do it for that. Also they may do it cheaper if they provide the shower box as they can write off the VAT and you cant.

I would query your understanding as well. The cheapest place to buy a with due respect triton T90 at the moment is actually woodies. I kid you not. Most fitters will encourage you to buy the shower and them to fit it. There is a rule for vate charging when fitting and because this is bought at 21% and the vat for fitting is at 13.5% The fitter will charge 150 eurp and prob more because they would loose money if they did not.

My last peice of advice is if your not happy with being charged a min of 150 fitting just fit the shower yourselves.

again i dont set the price I just know whats involved

Curious J, What type of shower did you have there in the first place and why do you ask for advice fon something, refering to your orig post and they be critical of the price? I am just curious! because you are free to get quotes the old fashioned way.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 curiousj

Thanks Joey

Original Shower is a Gainsborough Emerald 2 and the new one they are proposing is a Mira Elite for approx. €280

Thanks for all the helpful advice folks
    The price for the change over of an electric shower is 150 euro. This assumes there is no problems to deal with, I dont set the prices. I dont actually do the work I am just know the price as i hired all the trades

I would query your understanding as well. The cheapest place to buy a with due respect triton T90 at the moment is actually woodies. I kid you not. Most fitters will encourage you to buy the shower and them to fit it. There is a rule for vate charging when fitting and because this is bought at 21% and the vat for fitting is at 13.5% The fitter will charge 150 eurp and prob more because they would loose money if they did not.

My last peice of advice is if your not happy with being charged a min of 150 fitting just fit the shower yourselves.

again i dont set the price I just know whats involved

Curious J, What type of shower did you have there in the first place and why do you ask for advice fon something, refering to your orig post and they be critical of the price? I am just curious! because you are free to get quotes the old fashioned way.

curiousj wrote: »
    Thanks Joey

Original Shower is a Gainsborough Emerald 2 and the new one they are proposing is a Mira Elite for approx. €280

Thanks for all the helpful advice folks

Both are compatable the pipe work will need to be moved slightly from my memory as the openings are on different sides. Not to sure if any change will be needed on the electric cable if you go from 8.5 to 9.5kw but i think not perhaps over in the electrics form they will confirm this.

Advertisement