Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom Router Dropping Connection - Wiring/Sky + ?

Options
  • 15-09-2009 9:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have ana issue where my eircom router regularly drops connection i.e. the internet light turns red and it takes a few minutes to start back up again.

the router is located in my office and connected to a phone jack although it is not the eircom entry box - there is a phone socket in every room in the house daisy chained from one to the other.

I am using the eircom dual port filter in the office and my phone is also connected to this filter. the only other device I have connected to a phone socket is sky +. i have a single port filter used here.

I'm not 100% sure but I believe that when the sky box is turned on, my router starts to drop the connection, as frequently as every few minutes.
    very annoying indeed.

so...
    anyone any ideas what might be causing this?

some additional information that may help

i've tried different filters and still get the same result. also i'm fairly sure that the office phone socket is daisy chained to the sittng room phone socket where the sky box is connected.
    every phone socket in the house, apart from the eircom master box actually contains a network and phone jack.
    I recently had to punch down all the network cables in the sockets again as the electrican wired them incorrectly (well his apprentice did supposedly! *rolls eyes*). I found that while doing this, some of the wires from the phone jack came loose (2 pairs in each). I reconnected where this happened but could loose wiring be casuign this issue?

anyway, if anyone can point me in the right direction it would be must appreciated. i will check the wiring tonight myself after work, just trying to get some direction in the meantime.

thanks in advance

Advertisement