Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

upc routing issues - 15 sept 2009?

Options
  • 15-09-2009 1:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭

Anyone else having routing issues tonight?

My connection seems to be dead in the water. Getting time outs after the 213.46.160.97 hop when tracerouting to www.google.com.

Have resorted to 3g on my mobile for now. :(

UPDATE: all back working now. outage appeared to last ~ 40-50 mins. anyone else affected?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭rejkin

yup,it was happening to me too.
    Google wasnt working for me and any site i went to where real slow,suddenly was fine just now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Dr_Pepper

20Mbit UPC package.
    In Rathfarnham.
    Same issue, routing to rte.ie etc all ok.
    OpenDNS was not responding, set DNS to auto and could resolve sites but not route. Most other international sites broken.
    Logged into work vpn to test routing over an eircom connection - ok.

Back working again now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Dr_Pepper

Just went again there for about 10 seconds.
    Clearly a busted something in UPC.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭donal.hunt

seems to be relatively stable again now.

My hunch is one of the main routers they have fell over. a 45min turnaround for restoring service isn't bad if they had to page / get people on-site. the second hiccup may have been a reset or some configuration change they needed to make.

still - shouldn't happen with redundancy and stuff in place.

do us all a favour and make sure you report the outage by emailing them at Customer.Support@upc.ie - nothing worse than when you ring UPC up and no-one else has bothered to report the issue (boards.ie is hardly UPC support central). the more reports they get, the more likely they'll realise folk actually want broadband 24hours a day and care when they have an outage at 00:30. ;)

now - time to submit that report that i had literally clicked send on when the connection died (coincidence?). ;)

EDIT: actually - I might get more useful info about UPC's service here but bitching about my connection being down on boards.ie isn't going to get an engineer to call out.

and it's down again...

did Eircom buy-out UPC while I was away? :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭ipnface

and back again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,717 ✭✭✭Nehaxak

Yeah routing seems to be up and down here since about 11pm or thereaboots.

Download speeds though are fantastic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

same problem over here.

DAMN YOU Upc. they made me think it was my equipment on the blink

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

I had the same problem last night. Was using OpenDNS, but UPC seemed to have a problem routing to them, so I changed to 4.2.2.1 and it started working again. Still couldn't get to some sites, Google and a few others, still couldn't ping OpenDNS, and tracert for those just got bogged down on the first UPC hop.

I was having general speed issues from when I got home (6PM) until about 12AM. I didn't appear to have any routing issues but the speeds were 10% of what they are normally.

• Advertisement

I'm still waiting for a response from UPC regarding the outage.

apparently emailing UPC is not the quickest way to get info from the company! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

It may well have been maintenance instead of an outage given the time that it was going on at. They're unlikely to tell you in any case - I imagine you don't have an SLA with them.

I don't sadly. :(
    my boss may (he's on the business service with no contention and a special customer service number wit real techies)...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭RAWLiNGS

donal.hunt wrote: »
    I don't sadly. :(
    my boss may (he's on the business service with no contention and a special customer service number wit real techies)...

since that night , every evening after 9 my connection drops from 10mb to 1mb, loosing packets as well (about 10%) pinging eircom, rte, upload drops as well, lan connection to the modem. same under ubuntu live cd...

• Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭belmulletman

RAWLiNGS wrote: »
    since that night , every evening after 9 my connection drops from 10mb to 1mb, loosing packets as well (about 10%) pinging eircom, rte, upload drops as well, lan connection to the modem. same under ubuntu live cd...

Similar thing happens to me... I'm in D8

Advertisement