Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Home Ec or Geography..?

Options
  • 14-09-2009 7:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭

Repeating this year, either taking up Home Ec or Geography. Which would you recommend..? Doing tasters at the moment but I can't really decide and I need to soon for the UCAS. My other subjects are Chemistry, Biology, Ag Science, English and Art. Thanks for any responses..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭monaghanmissus

I'd pick Home Ec. You should find it easier to understand because you're already doing Biol and Chem.. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭ChiefBrody

Thanks, I think I am leaning that way actually.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭IHeartChemistry

I do Bio, Chem and Geography and honestly I love them, depends on what you like really, I have no issue with the Geography combined with the Bio and Chem cos in a way they will link in. Bad side is you need to do field work which is 20% of your overall grade, but it's very manageable. Go with your intrest but I'd reccomend Geography, it's a lot like JC stuff only in a bit more detail, and it's easy to learn!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 234 ✭✭RandomIrl

home Ec assignments have to be done by halloween, unless your in a repeat school, it might not be possible to get them all done by then,and also been thrown in at the deep end, with no knowledge of the subject to complete something, that counts towards your grade may not give you the best start! where as the geography field trip is done later in the year, more time to find your feet etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

I'd recommend geography, provided you put the work in, it's easy to do well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

If you work hard at either you'll do well

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 kevwall

i would reccommend taking geography, exact same as the junior cert, just slightly more detail. also there is 20% field study which has to be in before i think it was april, it is nice to do, and once again it is 20% gone from the exam, taking alot of pressure from you in the leaving cert. I hated geography for the junior cert, don't know why, but coming out of the leaving cert last year, i found it my favourite subject and am now starting an arts degree in maynooth thursday with geogaphy. it was very interesting to do, and fyi i came out with an a2 with very little stduy done! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

kevwall wrote: »
    hated geography for the junior cert, don't know why, but coming out of the leaving cert last year, i found it my favourite subject
    Funny, I was the same. I only took on geography for the leaving because of a timetable clash that left me with no other options. But I'm so glad that happened, geography ended up giving me my highest result.

Advertisement