Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magento requirements

Options
  • 14-09-2009 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭

I've been looking at options for setting up an online shop, and after searching the forums it looks like the main contenders are Magento and Zen Cart.
    So far, I've installed Magento and had a quick look at what's involved setting up products, looks like a fairly useful interface. Hoping to try out Zen Cart in the next few days.

One thing that's worrying me about Magento is I keep hearing that it's quite slow. I've just bought something off another online store which uses Magento, and the response time is quite off-putting, I could see it costing me customers. It's a small lag each page which is OK at first but gets annoying if you're trying to view a few different products.

Has anyone had good experiences with Magento, speedwise? What kind of hosting am I looking at to get a reasonable performance - if it's going to rule out shared hosting, then I might have to drop it. Or are there any performance tweaks I can look at?

(On the other hand, I know nothing about Zen Cart as yet - does that have any similar issues I should worry about?)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

Was looking at the paypal website merchant section yesterday, on their list of shopping carts that they integrate with Magento isn't listed - is it just as it's relatively new, or is there some issue there?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,491 ✭✭✭daymobrew

MOH wrote: »
    (On the other hand, I know nothing about Zen Cart as yet - does that have any similar issues I should worry about?)
    Not that I know of. You can turn off certain features to make Zen Cart quicker.

Zen Cart has good tutorials and a good wiki.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭spartacus93

Magento is far superior to ZenCart, but it still has to catch up on the amount of add ons available.

Speed wise, zen is faster, magento was really designed to make use of a dedicated server. Running magento on a shared server can be a disaster (depending on your provider).

Advertisement