Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simon Fun Run - 5 miles

Options
  • 14-09-2009 5:22pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just seen on Run Ireland that this is on in a few weeks. Anyone planning on doing it? Too close to the marathon to be racing 5 miles?

http://www.funrun.ie/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭christeb

Could be perfect as I've got an 8-10k race in the P&D training schedule......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Same day as the teachers xc and a day before the novice so as the dragons would say, for that reason I'm out

• Registered Users Posts: 6,494 ✭✭✭daymobrew

I've signed up. I've done it the previous 3 years. It's a grand course (it's always nice to run down the hill toward Chapelizod Gate) with the climb up Kyber Pass a way to catch a few people.

The results are slow to appear. The start is messy with a number of kids lining up close to the front for their 200m sprint before they slow to a walk - I suppose that this has to be accepted because it is promoted as a "fun run" and children are encouraged.

There were ~720 finishers in 2006 and ~1200 in 2008 (I don't know 2007 numbers).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭jlang

That's a busy day for races - there's also the Donadea Forest 10k and a BHAA cross country race in Castleknock College.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭gerard65

Enjoyed it last year. As daymobrew said the start is messy with alot of kids placing themselves at the front, then dropping out after 400m. If you've nothing else on that saturday its worth a run, you could do alot worse with your €20. A very good cause to boot.
    Unfortunely in clashes with other racing commitments, so as woddle said -'For that reason I'm out'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,547 ✭✭✭chinguetti

If my memory is right, there was a kids race on before the main race last year. Or is that the Aware 10k? Very worthwhile cause but the finish up the Kybher means you have to keep a bit in store. Once you get onto Chesterfield Avenue, you've got pass the kids and walkers so its not that bad and as said earlier, it is a fun run.

Same day as the Donadea Forest 10k so have to decide which i'll do. Anyone do Donadea before?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭misty floyd

chinguetti wrote: »
    Same day as the Donadea Forest 10k so have to decide which i'll do. Anyone do Donadea before?

I did that last year. Really enjoyed it actually, well organised and a really nice place to run. 1 or 2 of the Km markers were off but that didn't bother me.

I asked Mrs Floyd (almost Mrs Floyd) to marry me there in May :o. Like I said, its a nice place.

chinguetti wrote: »
    If my memory is right, there was a kids race on before the main race last year.
    There are two races for younger children before the main race - 200m dash for under 7s and an 800m run for 8-12 year olds.

With the works being done on Mountjoy Cross roundabout the course route is being changed.
    As far as I know it will now use Furze Road and possibly Lower Furry Glen Road.
    Dublin Simon will post the new route on the web site when it is finalised.

Advertisement