Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need to get cisco cable modem to talk to wireless router

• 14-09-2009 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

I have a problem, I didn't go for the wireless modem when I got the new upc 3 in 1 package as I had my old router (or so I thought ) however when I tried using the Zyxel router from perlico telecom - it would only work intermittently - I was told by upc that it wouldn't work because they hadn't supplied it, and told by Zyxel that it couldn't have worked as it's an asdl router, Anyway I went and got a sitecom wireless router which I can see but doesn't connect to the internet through upc's cable modem.

When I called upc they gave me a 1550 number which I ignored as I'm sure that this info is available.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Styvy

w123 wrote: »
    I have a problem, I didn't go for the wireless modem when I got the new upc 3 in 1 package as I had my old router (or so I thought ) however when I tried using the Zyxel router from perlico telecom - it would only work intermittently - I was told by upc that it wouldn't work because they hadn't supplied it, and told by Zyxel that it couldn't have worked as it's an asdl router, Anyway I went and got a sitecom wireless router which I can see but doesn't connect to the internet through upc's cable modem.

When I called upc they gave me a 1550 number which I ignored as I'm sure that this info is available.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Hi M8,
    Adsl router will not work unless you can set it up as a switch. Now the router might work intermitiently but not the best set up with upc modem. My advise buy a cable router. Less problems and faster. With upc modem it can only supply 3 ips at the max so at some point you will run into troubles like 169 ip on the pc.
    With sitecom router is it cable one? did you set it up?

Regards
    Styvy

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

sitecom router model ?

you need to plug the network cable from the WAN port on the router to the UPC box.

if the router does not have a WAN port separate to the LAN port(s) then you are off to a flying stop.

I had the same issue as you. In the end I managed to get a standalone cable modem and pleaded with UPC for 2 weeks to provision it on their system. In the end it all worked out though.

The cisco box has a routing functionality in it so if you want to use your own router you will have a dual router setup in effect. If you aren't that bothered you can always try to turn your sitecom router into access point mode and then connect it to the cisco box.

I did this as a workaround until I got the standalone modem. I had a Zyxel router and when I turned it into access point mode I simply connected one if its ports to the cisco box. Note that when I switched modes the wan port on the zyxel became a standard ethernet port.

If you want the dual router setup you'll need the cisco box on say a 192.168.1.0/24 network and the sitecom on a 192.168.2.0/24 network. You'd need to set up rules accordingly and when I did this before there were plenty of guides to be found.

http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en-GB&q=home+dual+router+setup&sourceid=navclient-ff&rlz=1B3GGGL_en-GBUS331US331&ie=UTF-8

Advertisement