Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone for Adamstown

Options
  • 14-09-2009 5:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

Went out there yesterday to view some places. Very nice duplexes for €245,000, unfurnished or €260,000 furnished.

It's a bit of a strange place. Not many people to be seen around. Many of the units still seem to be empty. It was a Sunday afternoon though, so there was no traffic and the bus got there and back quickly.

Not too many green areas either. There seems to be no heart to it.

Don't think I'd buy there anyway because it's so far out of town, although I work in UCD and there's a direct bus service.

It would be a good thing if new properties closer to the city came down to even near the Adamstown prices. I'd definitely be interested then.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

IMO, Adamstown is a f**king ghost town :( I'd advise trying to look for anything to do nearby, as I wouldn't think there is. Give us a budget, and the sort of house you're looking for, and we'll see what there is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Oliver1985

Its gone very cheap out there all of a sudden Two beds in the castlegate part are only 145k!!:eek: !

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭irlrobins

Gone cheap for a reason, no one wants to live there. The urban plan that Adamstown was built on looked good on paper, but in reality it's been a failure. Complete negative equity zone, it's doomed to fail.

I'd rather spend 300K on a property that had ammenties and a reasonable chance of holding some value than spend 140K on anything in Adamstown.

It's got Ballymun written all over it. Great plans, the way forward etc etc, but never worked out like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

Try Waterville in Blanchardstown for good value duplexes in a habited development with lots of green space. www.waterville.ie or look at Achill Square on the property websites (the latest phase to be released)

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭ceoltoir

Thanks everyone. I had my suspicions. What on earth are they going to do with all those thousands of empty apartments? You would think that anyone in their right mind who was spending billions on a place like that would at least plan it properly. But, then again, maybe that's what got us where we are now.

I'll follow up on those suggestions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,123 ✭✭✭stepbar

I'm in 2 minds about Adamstown....

On the one hand it's a ghost town but on the other there's a plentyful supply of houses and plenty of scope for negotiation. In fairness it has the train station, park and ride facilities and the 25x (which looks to be a good route). Nitelink too.

TBH the 2 beds are within my range so.......

You have to think real long term here. In fairness, you're talking about a new town here. It's going to take time, and in light of the present market, probably longer than expected.

The plan for Adamstown had its merits. Essentially the development was broken down into phases. Before the next phase could be start to be built, certain amenities had to be built. So for example after the first 500 units, the railway station had to be operational. After 1000 a primary school etc. The total units was to be 10,000. But in the currently climate the developer is never going to build all 10,000 units. At the moment there is just under 3500 planned (of which 1372 have been started, 1154 completed and 1079 are occupied!). So all the amenities that would have been built if units 4000 to 10,000 were completed might never appear. So the overall vision for the town fails.

How did anyone in there right mand think they would sell 10,000 units at the original prices? Crazy

Well don't forget, when the plan was created, it was a very different time. In that market selling 10,000 homes wasn't seen as an issue. But by the time the planning permission came through, building started, etc the market had peaked.

Yeah its sad for people who live there but on a plus they did get the rail link, Look at people on the northside in Clongriffin that station is like 2 years behind schedule!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

stepbar wrote: »
    Nitelink too.
    I can see this getting snipped if not enough people use it. And if you're paying through your nose on a reduced salary, I don't see that happening.

I wonder will the homeless be housed there?

I doubt they would put all the homeless in there maybe some!! Anyone got an Aerial shot of Adamstown?

• Registered Users Posts: 19 JTR

I live in Lucan, The Adamstown development is only a 5 minute drive from my house, it is a ghost town. Half the houses are empty.

Yeah there is just something about west dublin in general that is dodgy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭dodgyme

Oliver1985 wrote: »

care to elaborate?

Nothing against the west put from reading threads about Adamstown and other places it seems there is a lot of problems out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,732 ✭✭✭Klingon Hamlet

I've a mate who lives in the Paddocks, nice enough area though a little isolated. Seems a decent atmosphere and no sign of any gangs etc. Prices were way OTT and they bought through AH god help them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Oliver1985 wrote: »

Maybe the wilds of Connemara would be to your liking?

I can see people going to the likes of Adamstown in search of a cheap home and people not fully looking at the consequence of this i.e a getto forming.

Advertisement