Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

bumpy deck

Options
  • 14-09-2009 4:14pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi guys,

I cleaned off my board recently and when I got all the wax off there seemed to be indents on one side of the stringer. I only noticed it because the wax wasn't comming off with one clean swipe of the comb -"indents" is the best way I can describe it. Its not stand out noticeable, but its not real smooth like the bottom of the board either.They seem to be roughly around the area where my front foot is when I'm on the board.

Should I be worried??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭whynotwhycanti

I wouldn't be worried. If anything its a good sign because firstly you are obvioulsy using your board and secondly you got some consistency in your stance. If the deck of your board was smooth it would kinda imply that you haven't been surfing.

Its normal wear and tear as you know yourself. As long as the indent doesn't crack, which it only would if you dinged it like any other ding then it'll be fine. Its just cos the wax is there you never notice it. One of my boards, about four years old now, has got some serious indentation where my front foot is, but shes still water tight and it won't affect the performance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭neon_glows

Pressure dings on a surfboard are just "part of life" and are as certain to happen as you will get wet paddling out.

Pressure dings on the deck (top) of the board are almost always your fault. Gripping the rails too hard or just standing on the same spot over and over will ultimately lead to these dings. These are generally pretty large dents but you won't notice them until you strip the wax and recoat. Unless these lead to delamination (fiberglass separating from the foam core) they are cosmetic problems only.

Pressure dings on the bottom of the board are simply the result of riding it. Whether from cavitation of air bubbles, riding over rough water at high speed or just smacking the lip ferociously (you're supposed to do that) pressure dings will pop up over time.

These dings are usually harmless and all you really need to do is make sure there are no cracks in the glass where the ding appeared or delamination of the glass. Cracks/Delamination = Bad (fix 'em). They're also a sign of a well-loved surfboard. The only boards without pressure dings are the ones nobody uses, and frankly THAT is worse than a board covered with craters.

In short: you just do. They're evidence you don't sit home all day watching TV. ;)
    Source(s):
    Been surfing for 15 years and created my share of pressure dings.

If you need to fix them check out this article or drop your board to shaper/ding repair. If you are in waterford area and supply your own ding repair kit i can fix it for you for free, pick up a repair kit in any real surf shop.

Advertisement