Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First time credit card

Options
  • 14-09-2009 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

Ok, so I am really reluctant about getting a credit card(incase i go mad with it and spend more than i have) but I'd like one so we can rent a car when we are on holidays and make some online purchases etc.

I was just wondering, what is the best credit card right now for infrequent users, and users that dont want to spend loads of money at one time?

Im with AIB, so their credit cards would be the ones im looking at.

And they cant be the top up cards cos they wont accept them for car rentals etc.

Any comments/information welcome.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,537 ✭✭✭JTMan

You don't have to go with AIB, you can get a better rate elsewhere.

Will you pay off your credit card each month or not?

If you pay off your balance each month, then a reward card, such as at Tesco credit card is best, you will get club card points with each purchase everywhere.

If you do not pay it off each month, then consider some of the 0% offers out there, like the Halifax offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭Ogham

Fungus wrote: »

If you do not pay it off each month, then consider some of the 0% offers out there, like the Halifax offer.

Halifax are no longer doing 0% introductory offer: as seen here

• Registered Users Posts: 3,842 ✭✭✭Jet Black

natsuko wrote: »
    Ok, so I am really reluctant about getting a credit card(incase i go mad with it and spend more than i have) but I'd like one so we can rent a car when we are on holidays and make some online purchases etc.

I was just wondering, what is the best credit card right now for infrequent users, and users that dont want to spend loads of money at one time?

Im with AIB, so their credit cards would be the ones im looking at.

And they cant be the top up cards cos they wont accept them for car rentals etc.

Any comments/information welcome.

If your going to be clearing your balance every month you wont be hit with any fees except the stamp duty, you may not want to restrict yourself to aib if you plan on leaving a balance, shop around and pick a low rate card.

Do you need a credit card? You could just get debit card (Visa Debit) Halifax and I think ulster bank will be offering them soon. They are accepted as much as a regular visa but you will be only spending your money. You can also withdraw cash from them with no fee, if you will have the money it might be a better option.

Advertisement