Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Collins Documentary

Options
  • 13-09-2009 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭

I see there is a documentary on Collins Intelligence network on RTE 1 Monday 14th at 10:35 -"Get Collins: The Intelligence War in Dublin".

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 649 ✭✭✭Catenaccio!

Only caught a bit of this last night but seemed to be put together nicely. What were people's opinions of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 984 ✭✭✭Dummy

I found it very good - completely in line with what I knew already.

I never knew about his connection with that chap Cope. This ties in with a plaque on a wall at a hotel in Co Wicklow (on road between Arklow and Rathdrum) which read that this was where Collins had held secret meetings with the British leading up to the truce. I had always believed that the first glimpse they got of Collins was at the negotiations in London.

Another point that was made that I found interesting, was that Collins image was seen on the film footage where he collecting money outside St Endas But British Intelligence never used it to capture him. Why?

All in all, I found it to be a very good programme.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

Saw it today, great show!

Wish they'd do a documentary regarding the civil war in kerry...or does anyone know of any done already??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭McArmalite

gooch2k9 wrote: »
    Saw it today, great show!

Wish they'd do a documentary regarding the civil war in kerry...or does anyone know of any done already??
    Their was an excellent progamme on RTE by Pat Butler 2 or 3 years ago on the Ballyseedy massacre when 9 IRA soldiers were tortured and tied to landmines and blown to peices by the National/Free State army, with one man been blown to safety by the blast of the explosion. There was a riot in Tralee when the bodies were brought back, where the enraged relatives of the killed prisoners broke open the coffins as a statement of contempt for the Free State and its troops. It should be pointed out that the 'respectable' of the time refused to condemn the murders, as someone chillingly said at the time, the Catholic Church didn't condemn what the crows had to eat off the bushes in Ballyseedy.

In the month of March 1923 alone 32 IRA men died in Kerry, of whom only five were killed in combat.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gooch2k9

I've loads of books read and all so i know a lot of it, but this documentary revealed a lot i didn't know, so i was hoping there could be a few documentaries on the subject to enlighten me further.

• Advertisement
Advertisement