Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Turned down my first deal today.

Options
  • 13-09-2009 11:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭

Odd feeling. It was a ****ty offer, so i politely declined. Basically got made an offer on two of my tunes, but i just didn't feel the label was either arsed, or equipped to actual promote stuff like mine to people who might actually like it.

One of those small time, whats the point deals.

Still, at least someone made an offer. :pac:

As a newb, and with a bit of an open ended question.....what exactly is worth holding out for, with regard to these deals?

Do you take what comes, hold out for a decent vinyl release or just bunker down in self belief and hold out for an album?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

depends on the genre but in fairness most labels wouldnt even dream of an album deal without you having some sort of "name" in the scene.

most deals are going tto be 50/50 after label costs. so dont expect much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭nVid

Whats the genre, any links to have a listen to your stuff?

I used to remix everything I could back in the day when I loved to dj.

Congrats anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,672 ✭✭✭seannash

you should really be sending out your tracks to labels you "want" to be on.

no well respected label goes trawling for new talent,they normally have the talent come to them.

you wont be doing any albums for a while so just stick to releasing singles

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Dragan

seannash wrote: »
    you should really be sending out your tracks to labels you "want" to be on.

no well respected label goes trawling for new talent,they normally have the talent come to them.

you wont be doing any albums for a while so just stick to releasing singles

LoL, I did send my tracks to the label.:) They do a variety of stuff, but i know where good Dubstep is promoted and pushed, and these guys weren't offering to do that. It implied they were just pick up an artist for a ****ty offer so they could hold on to him. I basically got the impression from them that they feel future stuff will be very strong, so why not hold over some of my stuff from now for when that happens.

I like the tunes, would love to have them out, but a **** offer is a **** offer whether i asked them or they asked me. lol

nVid wrote: »
    Whats the genre, any links to have a listen to your stuff?

http://soundcloud.com/shatterfreak

I mostly do Dubstep.

• Advertisement

Oh wait, scratch that.

They just came back with some details and some changes that inspire a lot more faith.

Cool, maybe it'll all come together yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,607 ✭✭✭VinylJunkie

Well done

hmmm okay.

personally ive never really been that concerned about the money aspect of deals.if a label i wanted to be a part of offered to sign one of mine id jump at the chance

if you chose the label yourself you obviously would like to be associated with them but like you said they came back with a better deal so maybe itll work out.

remember dont be afraid of being used,im sure itll work out in the end though:D

seannash wrote: »
    hmmm okay.

personally ive never really been that concerned about the money aspect of deals.if a label i wanted to be a part of offered to sign one of mine id jump at the chance

if you chose the label yourself you obviously would like to be associated with them but like you said they came back with a better deal so maybe itll work out.

remember dont be afraid of being used,im sure itll work out in the end though:D

Actually, that is really good advice, maybe early, it's better to just get out there, and get some people hearing your stuff.

Cheers man.

Dragan wrote: »
    Actually, that is really good advice, maybe early, it's better to just get out there, and get some people hearing your stuff.

Cheers man.
    no problem,at the end of the day i think its better to have stuff out there than to sit on it waiting for the big payoff but not knowing the details(they could be offering you 10% of sales) cant really say much more.

my first signing was a 25% share of the sales.i didnt know any better but even if i did i would have agreed to it(i absolutely hate these tracks now too ha ha).i can always make more tracks.

as long as there not locking you into signing exclusively with them for your next few releases your free to sign your other tracks to other label.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Rthr

Dragan wrote: »

Cheers man.

I gotta say, it's good advice. Got to eat a lot of poop before you get to the caviare.

Advertisement