Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Donegal Mooathon - 27th September

Options
  • 13-09-2009 11:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭

Right, this is looming now. Anyone else doing it, or is everybody geared up for the Dublin Half instead.

I'm a bit worried though, cos there is no map on the site yet for the full marathon, and it would be handy to have some idea of the route and elevation etc.

How strict are they in the dressing up in black and white etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭too much trifle

done the half last year, hope you like hills,
    i was told connermara was tough, but it didnt have a patch on this, remember to try and enjoy the course,
    the views at the top of the lough salt road are unbeatable, and when you make it that far its all down hill,

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

What's the organisation like? I wasn't overly impressed with the cupids dash which is organised by the same person.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭too much trifle

seemed ok to me,
    although living localy i didnt use the bus transfers from ltky. but heard no complaints, plenty of water stops and refreshments at the finish,
    as for the course from what i remember you climb 750ft in the first 5 miles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭Aimman

Right, well, I got the finger out and just registered for it. Would be handy to get my hands on the new route beforehand to see the hills.

Now I have to sort out some 'cow looking' clothes that I can actually run in :D

hmm, so i take it I'm the only one going for this? Does this mean that because it's the first time they are having a full 26.2, and I'm the only one off boards.ie doing it, I could technically have the record for fastest time (if I complete it! :D)

I'm a bit worried, There is still no sign of a route map and I have emailed a few times to be told it's on the way. Got a newsletter saying that the route was very challenging and to bring extra hydration just in case, Maybe the challenge is to find your way around the course?

Would be keen to see what kind of hills I'll be getting myself into. I know its a fun event, but after paying €75 to enter, I thought the organisation of the site might be a bit better, along with some more information on the route.

• Advertisement

Got the goodie bag and now just going to rest up tonight. I have a good chance of finishing in the top 30.....

....eh.... only 30 people are doing the full marathon. We run the whole half marathon with the other guys, then do a 13 mile loop of a penninsula to get back to the same finish line. Not much chance of drinks in the last 13M , we were advised to bring a water belt. Hope there's a bus left to bring me back to the start.

The full runners get a special technical t-shirt, but when I got there , they only have all XL left. :confused: There's only 30 of us, how many different sizes did they order???? lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Oisin11178

Aimman wrote: »
    Got the goodie bag and now just going to rest up tonight. I have a good chance of finishing in the top 30.....

....eh.... only 30 people are doing the full marathon. We run the whole half marathon with the other guys, then do a 13 mile loop of a penninsula to get back to the same finish line. Not much chance of drinks in the last 13M , we were advised to bring a water belt. Hope there's a bus left to bring me back to the start.

The full runners get a special technical t-shirt, but when I got there , they only have all XL left. :confused: There's only 30 of us, how many different sizes did they order???? lol.
    Thats weird **** bud but good luck all the same. Ill say a prayer for you bud:~)

Well done Aimann:)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Aimman wrote: »

Another success for Irish Fit then? :D Wonder what Run the Gauntet and the 'Santa Dash' will be like. Anyway, I assume you've finished and the like. Hope you had a good run.

4.15 and 15th place out of 30. Very very hilly. Very well done that man. You deserve a few pints tonight:)

• Advertisement

The Full Mooathon was an experience I would recommend to any runner that loves marathons, on one condition. you need to be ****ing mental to finish it!.

The Course:
    You run the first 13.1 miles along with the half marathon participants. the first 6 or so miles are all uphill with some spectacular scenery including a natural reservoir and a summit giving you an absolutely magnificent panoramic view, that you easily forget your running a race. To be honest, the first 2,5 hours went by without me even noticing it.

at the summit at 6.5 miles, it was a pure downhill run after that for a while, as a kid, you would love to just roll downhill. miles of heather fields to see right up to the beaches and then onto the sea. it was great to see people casually chatting to each other during that downhill section, and I got a chance to talk to a few new friends too and we were all in good spirits (except the 31 of us that were just getting warmed up for the full run, lol)

As we approached the 11 mile mark at the church before the downings, the 24 mile marker could be seen on the road, letting us know that we'd eventually be back on that road in a while. As i approached the halfway point, it seemed a bit surreal. There was very few supporters at the finish line cheering people on, and those doing the half marathon turned into the GAA grounds and crossed the finish line. For me, I was suddenly on my own, no marshels to point the way and tell me what to do next, no signs, no road markings, so I instinctively kept on going. About a third of a mile on, I caught up with a Dutch man who stopped occasionally to take photos. He was at a crossroads and had no idea which way to go. We decided to keep on going straight, and when my garmin said 14 miles and there was no mile marker, then we'd know we went the wrong way.

The amount of hills in the second half were phenominal, just when you got to the summint of one hill, you got a brief reprieve before tackling the next, but they just kept coming. At mile 16, there was an unmanned water station. A 5l bottle of water, a 5l bottle of gatorade and a stack of plastic cups. At this point, me and the Dutch runner decided to stop and take pictures of each other, admire the scenery and pour our drinks.

From mile 13.1 to 22M there was no marshels, no spectators, and virtually no other runners. We didnt know if we were first, last or running in the wrong direction, except for the mile markers. In fairness, the Dutch runner was faster than me, but he stopped for the occasional photo till I caught up with him, and other times, he was standing at a junction, hoping I'd know the way to go, cos there was no indications. :confused:

Coming up to the 22M mark, there was a dead leg in the course, i.e. we all had to head down a cul-de-sac fpr about 0.3 miles and get to a point on the road with MOO written on it, and then turn around and run back and join the main route again. At mile 23, there was a fork in the road, We could see the half marathon walkers coming towards us on the right hand side on the route we previously ran along, but now we had to take the left hand fork and run into another town, go around a church again and head to the finish line for a second time. Because of the lack of marshels and instructions, I know of a couple of guys that didnt do the full deadleg and turned around at the fork, cos they didnt know where they were supposed to go. Anyone could have cut a few miles off the course at these points, but to be honest I dont think anyone did it intentionally. There was no point to it. Thankfully I did the whole course and can prove it from my Garmin log, :D

The finish line was a bit of a damp squib, no spectators, just a couple of officials and a handfull of tired people who came in ahead of me, but to be honest, what to you expect when there was ony 31 people running the full thing. It was nice to arrive at the same time as a bunch of half marathon walkers for a bit of athmosphere.

I came in 15th position, out of 31 at 4:15. But when I heard that the winner only came in at 3:20, I feel like I accomplished a major task.

For those people years ago who believed the world was flat, they never went to Donegal.

If you want to have a fun run, do the Half Mooathon, the people were in great form, people were dressed as cows, had face painting ( I got a makeover too from the organisers) and the amount of American and British participants was outstanding. did they jst come all the way for this race?

If you want a challenge that you have to endure on your own, do the full, but only if you're insane, and will appreciate the experience, like me. As I said, from mile 13.1 to 22, you are on your own, just you, the miles, the hills and the fantastic scenery, including beautiful beaches and private coves where the sea violently crashes agains the rocks for your entertainment. But just be warned, when you think you've struggled up the last steep hill, there's plenty more ahead.

I got a great complement from the woman at the 22M water station, 'Fair play to you, you're the only one so far that is smiling'. But in fairness, if you dont enjoy all that running, why do it.

I dont think I would do the full one again, onc is enough, but for a great laugh with fun people, i would definitely consider the half, but like I said, if you want a challenge, do the full one. I did, and thats enought for me this year. At leat I can say I was the 15th person ever to complete the full 26.2 Mooathon. :-)

Next stop is the Tarmonbarry half marathon on 11th October as a warm up to Dublin, which will be a piece of cake after that one. ;)

Advertisement