Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running 2 CCTV cameras over 1 cat5 cable using 2 Baluns

Options
  • 13-09-2009 5:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭

I have 1 spare cat5 cable ran to a garage and it was ran before tarmac was laid so I cannot run a second, i want to put 2 cctv cameras in this garage, I google a wiring diagram for a Balun and came up with the attached, it seems 2 wires for video (+,-),2 for audio (+,-)and for power 2 +'s and 2 -'s.
    I decided that i would be able to use 1 pairs for video for camera 1 , 1 pairs for video and camera 2 and then 1 pairs for Power for camera 1 and 1 pair for power for camera 2.

So I put a double cat5 box and inserts at both ends of the cable and tested that on both sockets that pins 1 and 2 were straight through and that pins 4 and 7 were straight through so thsi shoudl give me video and power.
    I then connected up my buluns and connected into the 12v 5A psu and confimed i was getting 12v in the garage.
    I connect both cameras and they worked fine for 3 weeks and now I am getting vlosss errors on both and the 2nd camera just gave no video for the last 2 days.
    Today I powered off everything and reseated all cable and the 2 cameras in the garage are working again.

Any idea's why they would fail? as the 2 other cameras on the house with the standard bnc cabling are always fine.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Did you find any connection problems?
    How long is the cat 5 cable run?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,425 ✭✭✭jamesd

Found no connection problems at all,the run is about 50 metres max.
    Have ordered 2 new baluns that are a different make and if it goes again i will use them, other option is to use 2 non powered baluns and buy 2 of the 1amp psu's for the cameras in the garage and power them individually.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

For 50 m non powered should be fine.
    To try and eliminate some problems maybe try connect one camera at a time.
    If they are all on & the problem returns try disconnect on at a time also,

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

when you left one pair for power to each one, could you not have had 2 cores for the positive and two cores for the negative power and share it for both cameras.

koolkid wrote: »
    For 50 m non powered should be fine.
    To try and eliminate some problems maybe try connect one camera at a time.
    If they are all on & the problem returns try disconnect on at a time also,

I ran it on 1 camera for a week when the 1st one gave a video loss error and showed no picture, then saturday the 2nd camera gave no picture so thats when i did the above and unplugged and replugged all in.

@Stoner - I taught about this yesterday and it would be easy enough for me to do but I was wondering could it help in any way ?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

well even for the one camera on its own your diagram shows that 4 cores for power are required. It would help with voltage drops so I'de give it a go. It is a voltage error you are getting anyway.

best of luck with it.

Is a VLoss error a voltage error? I assume it was a video loss error but wasent sure.

Ordered a psu unit for both of the garage cameras so at least that should solve the problem, i will run the video over the balun only then.

Advertisement