Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Virus on Dell laptop

Options
  • 13-09-2009 4:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Hi,
    I signed into my email and there were sent messages from trade-beauty.com sending emails from my email to my contacts. When I started up laptop the following day, Windows showed up on screen then a dark green flash and a blank screen, with just the curser showing. Anyone know how to fix this?????

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,059 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Moved from Laptops.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Can you boot into safe mode?
    Hit F8 at the Dell splash screen (usually twice iirc).
    Once in safe mode you'll need to back up your data and run some anti-virus scans.
    What antivirus software (if any) are you currently using?

At the worst you will have to reformat losing all of the data on the hard drive.
    You may be able to recover it tho.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 neutra

Tell Dell, or the outlet you got it from what has happened; demand to know why and be very indignant eg that you can't believe it, you always ran virus checks - you did, right? - and what can you expect them to do about it. That works sometimes: if you can convince them that they have to find a solution (if it is under warrenty, course, they will have to anyway) but it always helps if you turn to them with high hopes and confidence.

Did you lose anything irreplacable? How long have you had it and is it a squishy soft screen (word for this is , umm, sorry, I do know what I mean) screen or LCD?

If you could not see the cursor, I would suggest the graphics card went or there was a problem with the driver but if you can see it, then something works for the screen however pathetic. Logically. So..

Have you tried to connect it to another monitor? I would do that before anything else. It will show you for sure whether the screen has crashed for whatever reason or whether the problem is bigger or with luck, smaller. It may well be you know loads more about these things than I do and this is useless but it is always worth asking anyone who has a clue to help. (very little clue really but mates who make me learn)

Good luck and please let us know how you fare!

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Nellsbells

Thanks for your replies.
    No it won't let me into safemode. I tried every mode and it won't let me in,
    I have the AVG virus protection, and did run checks regularly. I only have the laptop a year, The warranty is probably out last week or so i would say!! Raging!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

Not sure about this, can you boot from the windows DVD and select a repair mode.

I have not done this in years but someone who done it lately might be able to advice the OP.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,516 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Nellsbells wrote: »
    Thanks for your replies.
    No it won't let me into safemode. I tried every mode and it won't let me in,
    I have the AVG virus protection, and did run checks regularly. I only have the laptop a year, The warranty is probably out last week or so i would say!! Raging!!!!!!!!

What happens (exactly) when you try safe mode?
    What appears on screen? If the Dell splash screen is popping up (is it?) then your gpu/lcd should be okay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Your warranty wouldn't be worth jack for a virus.

Can you run the tools and post the logs requested in the sticky?

Advertisement