Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UKCAT

Options
  • 13-09-2009 4:12pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭

Just wondering, what would be the likelihood of me actually getting into the medicine in the UK if I applied? It seems really competitive and I dont want to put in all this time and effort if there is basically very little chance of me getting in over there in the 1st place. Is it very unlikely? Ive got so much on at the moment as it is.
    People say Id have a better chance getting in over here with the HPAT, which is what I need to focus on.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Mary007

Xtina!! wrote: »
    Just wondering, what would be the likelihood of me actually getting into the medicine in the UK if I applied? It seems really competitive and I dont want to put in all this time and effort if there is basically very little chance of me getting in over there in the 1st place. Is it very unlikely? Ive got so much on at the moment as it is.
    People say Id have a better chance getting in over here with the HPAT, which is what I need to focus on.

What universities are you looking to apply to? If you're hoping to get into the top colleges ie. Cambridge, Oxford, Kings College etc it is highly competitive. Try looking at the league tables anything up to ranking 100 is quite good but those in the 90's will be easier to get into. Aswell remember you have to sit a test for the UK aswell, similar to the HPAT even if you don't get offers you will have a type of 'practise test' before the HPAT that will benefit you. But you really would need to get serious now and look at booking your test! Good Luck!

Also, your personal statement needs to be really good http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Personal_Statement:Medicine_9 that's a link for some of the best personal statements that are out there, remember you need to say why you want to go to the UK though! It all seems like a load of work now, I'm doing mine and I have an exam for Law next Moday (Sh*tting it at the mo!) but atleast you won't have it hanging over you head at Christmas and January!

You need to get your predicted grades off your teachers and a reference from your Principle ( Usually your career guidance teacher does this? Have you spoken to her?) The higher your predicted grades the better!

Advertisement