Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of rewiring in Dublin?

Options
  • 13-09-2009 4:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭

Could anyone give me a estimate how much it would cost to rewire a house (built in the early 80's).
    Bedrooms x 4
    2 double sockets
    1 tv point

Living room
    4 double sockets
    1 tv point

Dining room
    2 double sockets
    1 tv point

Kitchen
    5 double sockets
    1 oven

Hall/landing
    3 double sockets

Theres no electric shower

Also I assume the cables will be run in a conduit so if I wanted to I could run cat6 through them after?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

The cat 6's would have separate conduits to the 230v stuff.It's prob easier to do the 'home runs' with the rewire unless it's a bungalow

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

Do you have any idea on cost then. Think ill leave out the cat6 (using wireless mostly anyway) just to keep the costs down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭davelerave

no .afraid i work down the country.'home run' some cat5's or 6's with the tv sockets anyhow as they'll use the same conduit.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 shocko2009

your looking roughly at 3k if done as a nixer,thats what we charge but will be more if your wanting downlights/chrome sockets etc.....most contractors will charge you alot more!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,299 ✭✭✭irishguy

Thats not too bad. It would be pretty straight forward anyway, possibly down lighters in the living room, but thats it. Trying to keep the costs down.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,565 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Hi Irishguy,

I hope you dont mind me saying this but, in my opinion there are some things that your list may be missing such as:

1 Earthrod - this is a regulation
    2 Equipotential bondong - this is also a regulation
    3 Immersion (perhaps)
    4 Doorbell might be required
    5 The mains cabling may not be big enough (should be 16 sq. now and may not be if the house is early 80s)
    6 New distribution board - The chances are the current one is not up to spec.
    7 You have no phone points.
    8 Wiring for an alarm.
    9 A timer for your boiler (if you have one)
    10 Incomming gas pipe must be bonded (if you are on mains gas) - Regulation
    11 You have no outside lights at all.
    12 TV point, what type??? e.g. is it for SKY or SKY+ or cable TV??? Different wiring is required for each.

I also feel that you are not putting in very many sockets. Just four in a sitting room is very little for TV, Digibox, DVD etc.

When you are rewiring it is your chance to do everything right, take advantage of that!

Best of luck with it!

Advertisement