Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Valuation Office Dublin

Options
  • 13-09-2009 3:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭

Has anyone experience of looking up the cancelled tenant books in the Valuation office. My GGG grandfather Daniel Donoghue was born before 1812 in Dromkeare, Waterville, Co. Kerry. His first son James was born 1832.

He is recorded in plot 5 in Griffiths in 1852, in 1886 he transfered to his two sons Patrick & James. Would 1886 be possibly his death year, or were there other circumstances that someone would transfer. Was it usual to have made a will and would the transaction have to go through probate. It was a 75 acre farm. Where would the probate records be.

I traced his father Mortimer through the Tithes, he had paid 1836, Daniel appeared on land records 1846.

I am basically trying to find his death record, no Daniel is recorded 1875 to 1890 dying in Dromkeare, I feel he may have died at an unknown daughter's house.

Dromkeare comes under Cahirciveen registration district

Brendan

Brendan

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,637 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Brendan,

It's very likely he died then. Have you discounted the Daniel Donoghue dying second quarter of 1886 aged 75 (born 1811) in Killarney registration district?
    http://pilot.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#toYear=1886;searchType=standard;collectionId=1408347;surname=donoghue;p=recordResults;year=1884;givenName=daniel;placeId=1927084;eventPlace=Ireland

Failing that:
    What are the parish records like for that area? A certain amount of deaths did go unregistered. Is it possible had a different first name and always known as Daniel?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Brendan552004

Hi Pinky,

I have invested in all the relevant birth certs, as you know 5 at a time, I have also downloaded all Killarney and Glenflesk births and marriages, some up to 1880.

The family seemed to marry girls from the Sneem area, they were a very close family, his childrens deaths were all recorded in Cahirciveen registration district, I cannot pick up any close family that lived in Killarney.

They originally moved to Dromkeare from Glenflesk after the Battle of the Boyne in 1690, I understand that two brothers moved, granted land by the McCarthy Mor.

I also understand that in the early 1800's that births in the Dromkeare area were registered / christened in Killarney by a priest who used to travel by horseback to the area.

I cannot find a Daniel with a father Mortimer in Killarney or Glenflesk records.

I still feel that his death was recorded in Cahirciveen registration district, I have a death certificate in Rath, Castlecove with a daughter Ellen as the person who advised the death, I think I will have to investigate Ellen's family tree, they were still living there 1911, I also have another family in Waterville with a daughter Ellen who may be a possibility.

Thanks be to God, I have a GGGG grandfather Mortimer, I think I will have a lot of fun with him.

Brendan

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Brendan552004

If a person died in 1886 and had a reasonable amount of land would they normally make a will and would it have to go through probate?

Would those records be held at local level or would they be held in Dublin.

Brendan

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,637 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Brendan,

It's probable. What you want to do is go into the National Archives and check out the index book of will abstracts for that year. A lot of wills did not survive the Four Courts incident but since his will would have been probated in a different district, they shouldn't have been stored in Dublin. There's also a card index along the wall of the reading room but it doesn't contain every will mentioned in the year book.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 finbar44

Hi Pinky,

I have invested in all the relevant birth certs, as you know 5 at a time, I have also downloaded all Killarney and Glenflesk births and marriages, some up to 1880.

The family seemed to marry girls from the Sneem area, they were a very close family, his childrens deaths were all recorded in Cahirciveen registration district, I cannot pick up any close family that lived in Killarney.

They originally moved to Dromkeare from Glenflesk after the Battle of the Boyne in 1690, I understand that two brothers moved, granted land by the McCarthy Mor.

I also understand that in the early 1800's that births in the Dromkeare area were registered / christened in Killarney by a priest who used to travel by horseback to the area.

I cannot find a Daniel with a father Mortimer in Killarney or Glenflesk records.

I still feel that his death was recorded in Cahirciveen registration district, I have a death certificate in Rath, Castlecove with a daughter Ellen as the person who advised the death, I think I will have to investigate Ellen's family tree, they were still living there 1911, I also have another family in Waterville with a daughter Ellen who may be a possibility.

Thanks be to God, I have a GGGG grandfather Mortimer, I think I will have a lot of fun with him.

Brendan

Hi Brendan and Pinky

My O Mahony family arrived in Killarney post 1690 from Kilmichael and availed of the hospitality of McCarthy Mor. I believed my branch were given lands at Allanes, Incheens and Poulagour or leased them shortly there after.

Do you have any sources that I can check on the land grant from McCarthy Mor??

Also some of my O Mahonys married O Donoghues in Killarney and the following Killarney/ and marriages appear on my tree:

Forename Surname Year of Birth Abbey Donoghue married an O Mahony 1876 Humphry Donoghue married an O Mahony1832 Martin Donoghue others on my list are 1883 Michael Donoghue 1850 Nora Donoghue 1887 Nora Donoghue 1925 Patrick Donoghue 1884 Andrew Donoghue 1865

(All of Killarney)

Do any of these ring a bell or do you have any O Mahony/Cronin connections back to 1818 in Killarney?

Thanks.:)

Finbar 44

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭strongbluebell

Just referring back to the original query, I was in the Valuation Office recently searching the revision books for my family.

Although my great grand father died in 1903 his land was not transferred to his son until 1912, so in this case at least, the date of transfer did not mean it was the same year as death.

Advertisement