Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chamonix

Options
  • 13-09-2009 1:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Any words of wisdom about Chamonix?
    I've decided to spend a week there, think every boarder has to make the trip at least once.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

Smutty007 wrote: »
    Any words of wisdom about Chamonix?
    I've decided to spend a week there, think every boarder has to make the trip at least once.

I love the place.:D Go there for 3 weeks every season. Ive been there in the summer too and its fantastic then aswell.

You wont regret going there.. thats for sure !!

Any questions.. ask away and I'll see if I can answer them.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭wing52

Check out www.chamonet.com or www.compagniedumontblanc.com

or www.ohm-chamonix.com for a few hours perusal.

Seriously good sites!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Smutty007

Excellent, thanks for that guys.
    The reason I picked Chamonix is because I've been snowboarding a couple of times now and feel that I need to take it up to the next level.
    Like red and blue runs are fine but I want to go all mountain and maybe attack the park.
    Do ye know any good schools for that?

Also I want to clear off somewhere in Aprilfor a couple of weeks, after the tour operators have stopped.
    Any reccomondations?

Smutty007 wrote: »
    Excellent, thanks for that guys.
    The reason I picked Chamonix is because I've been snowboarding a couple of times now and feel that I need to take it up to the next level.
    Like red and blue runs are fine but I want to go all mountain and maybe attack the park.
    Do ye know any good schools for that?

There are a few schools in Chamonix that teach freestyle afaik but the one that jumps to mind for me is http://www.mcnabsnowsports.com/[/URL]

There are heaps of red and blue runs in Chamonix that will keep you entertained. You could also look at doing the Vallee Blanche if your riding skills are up to it. I'd recommend getting a guide for that as its a pretty serious and you'll need some special gear for that (harness, avalanche trancever, etc) Here is a link to some of my pics from it last year http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055144048&page=7

As for where to hit in April.. well Chamonix is still open then so if you like it you could head back, but there are loads of other places that the guys on here could recommend too.

• Advertisement

Thanks Mitch, those photos are unreal.
    The one with the chopper is the best!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭TrapperChamonix

My point of view is that of a Skiier not a Boarder but the essesence is the same.

If you are talking Chamonix, then Argentiere is the place to be. I've been going for almost 20 years and never tiere of the the place. What special is that when you reach the top of the lifts you can ski down endless variations of off piste runs. From the top of Les Grandes Montets you can use the piste (a waste given the other opportunities) come off the side go under the rope or off the front of the hill. From the Herst you have 2 snow filled bowls to ski through and from the Bouchard head left and cut across to La Lavanche close by the rock face and have the ride of your life. Resort at 1300m and top of Grandes Montets at 3300m gives 2,000m of vertical descent... can't think of anywhere to match that.
    If you can get someone to guide you for a couple of days then thats great. The other thing to do is to watch very closely from the bottom of the hill (and on the lifts) exactly what routes people are taking down the hill. But be carefull, especially on Grandes Montets run itself as there are crevasses.

There are lots of other hills in Chamonix. I've tried them all and now only bother with Grandes Montets. Though if I got 3 weeks a year like Mitch (lucky so and so) I might spend more time in Flegere. Brevant is ok for a day but the rest I wouldn't bother with.
    Mitch talks about Les Vallee Blanche and I would agree with him that its well worth doing. You don't do it for the skiing but rather for the spectular views. But you should still do it. You definitely need a guide who should provide the ropes and harness to walk downthe ridge. Do not do it without a guide.

As to where to stay, it depends on you attitude to the holiday and whether you are free and single. If you are chasing girls or boys in the evening, then Chamonix is the place to stay (but beware this is not a wild nightlife territority). The problem with staying in Cham is that you need a 20 min bus ride in the morning to get to Argentiere.
    Staying in Argentiere is quieter but access to the lifts is very easy (beware this is not a ski in ski out resort) If there is a group of you and it's all about the skiing and then beers till early morning then stay in Argenitere. There are also nice resturaunts as well.

If you are staying in Argientere, heres a few places to consider. Hotel Montana, basic but clear and comfortable but don't expect too much friendliness from La Madame, Hotel de la Courconne (cheap) across from the bars and resturaunts or Hotel Grandes Montets (more expensive)very close to the base station.

The final advantage to Chamonix is its a direct flight to geneva and 1 hr transfer up to Chamonix. Means that you can go for less than a week and still maximise your skiing. This year I'm flying out on a Friday afternoon. I'll ski Sat, Sun , Mon, Tues and Wed till 1pm. Meet the minibus (Chamvan or someone else) at the bottom of the hill and straight to the airport for the afternoon flight.

On re-reading, my response is a bit rambling , but hopefully encourages you a bit

p.s. Re late skiing, I agree with Mitch Chamonix gives skiing late into theseason. I have skied there on a May Bank Holiday. Might have been the last weekend of the year, iirc. Obvioulsy no snow on the run to the bottom of the resort but plenty above 2,000m

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭am i bovvered

Chamonix sounds great, really want to go there to ski the vallee-blanche. We ski in germany-austria and also really enjoy the sauna in the evening, are they as good in France ?

Really good info, I'm just looking forward to pointin that snowboard down the first hill.

• Advertisement

Chamonix sounds great, really want to go there to ski the vallee-blanche. We ski in germany-austria and also really enjoy the sauna in the evening, are they as good in France ?

a i b, not sure about sauna, cause I don't like them. I do know the Hotel Grandes Montets has one.

FYI, views from the top of GM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 donnchadhc

TrapperChamonix, those are great shots. I especially like the shot from the observation deck. I was in Chamonix Febuary twelve months ago, great spot with plenty of different choices. Though my highlight has to be the small bakery that opens at three in the morning for some late night soakage............ :D

really enjoy the sauna in the evening, are they as good in France ?

A lot of places in Chamonix dont have sauna's to be honest. A lot of places have hot tubs though. Some of the more expensive hotels and chalets have sauna's and hot tubs.

There is a sports centre in Cham that has all that jazz.

Edit: I just found some info....

The Centre Sportif Richard Bozon is located in Chamonix, 214 Av Plage.
    Tel: 33 (0) 4 50 53 23 70

The Sports Centre also has a solarium, saunas and hammans.

Prices (as of 2009):
    Coin for the solarium is 2.70 euros
    Entrance Sauna, Hamman, and swimming pool is 11.20 euros.
    Entrance Sauna, Hamman, swimming pool & fitness is 14.50 euros

Ps: What the hell is a Hamman ??:confused: ANSWERS ON A POSTCARD PLEASE.

German midfielder who played for both Liverpool and Newcastle :D Must've really hit on hard times ;)

Seriously, its a form of Turkish bath

Cheers man:)

A lot of places in Chamonix dont have sauna's to be honest. A lot of places have hot tubs though. Some of the more expensive hotels and chalets have sauna's and hot tubs.

There is a sports centre in Cham that has all that jazz.

Edit: I just found some info....

The Centre Sportif Richard Bozon is located in Chamonix, 214 Av Plage.
    Tel: 33 (0) 4 50 53 23 70

The Sports Centre also has a solarium, saunas and hammans.

Prices (as of 2009):
    Coin for the solarium is 2.70 euros
    Entrance Sauna, Hamman, and swimming pool is 11.20 euros.
    Entrance Sauna, Hamman, swimming pool & fitness is 14.50 euros

Steam Room I think

Attached is the start of the Vallee Blanche. More specifically the ridge you have to carry your ski's down. Oh! by the way there's also an option to do this at night.........

Picture from
    http://www.chamonix.com/page.php?page=0&r=welcome&ling=en

Steam Room I think

Good account of one here

http://www.ivebeenthere.co.uk/tips/4561

Another great photo, I want to go skiing now! :mad:

Attached is the start of the Vallee Blanche. More specifically the ridge you have to carry your ski's down. Oh! by the way there's also an option to do this at night.........

Picture from
    http://www.chamonix.com/page.php?page=0&r=welcome&ling=en

I have to say I really enjoyed the ridge walk down to the start of the Vallee Blanche. Id advise having a backpack able to carry skis/snowboards as it frees up your hands.(what do you think Trapper ?) Im hoping to do it again this January or March or both :D

Im sure I have more pics of my Vallee Blanche run, if I find them I'll put them up.

I've done the Vallee Blanche 3 times.
    First was from Courmayer via Hellbonner pass as the Aguille di Midi cable was being upgraded. I did it with 2 friends and without a guide and dense fog at the top.........one of the stupidest things I've done on Snow. If you are thinking of saving money, don't go alone, get a guide. Its cheaper than your parents flying out to stare down a crevace where you were last seen.
    2nd time normal route via Aguille di Midi during the day and 3rd time at night (full moon). While the night time run is great fun the day time is better.

Mitch, I know what you mean about having skis on your back to keep hands free. If I had a pack like that (or could borrow one) I would defenitely use it. But I don't think I go to the trouble or expense of buying sepcially for the event. Most people manage with them hoisted on their shoulder. Just practice by getting a hotel room a long walk from the cable car :D.

My final bit of advice.....be careful what advice you get from so called "experienced Skiers". When we did the night run, one of the guys who was linked on our rope was convinced that if anyone fell on the ridge, he was going to jump the other side of the ridge to balance the overall weight. He took some persuasion from the guide before he realised someone in the pub was feeding him a line.

looking forward to your pic mitch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭wing52

Is there really a night ski down the valle blanche?

What happens when you have to get up at the

Mer du glace? Are the lifts up to Montenvers running at night?

Do you have to book the aguille cable car?

A few pics as well,like:)

wing52 wrote: »
    Is there really a night ski down the valle blanche?

What happens when you have to get up at the

Mer du glace? Are the lifts up to Montenvers running at night?

Do you have to book the aguille cable car?

A few pics as well,like:)

I have some pics in a box in the attic from years ago, but no digital. I googled "night time vallee blanche" and got this link, which has some pretty good pics.
    http://www.alpineexposures.com/pages/ski-descent-of-the-vallee-blanche-under-the-full-moon-photo-report
    Re the end of the run, my memory is at different times having a pretty clear run (after small climb) right down to the road near Chamonix. I also have a memory of having to walk for 40 min plus at the bottom cause the snow wasn't so good.
    Re booking and all that, we had the chalet organise for us. We certianly weren't the only ones doing the night run so I'd imagine that its pretty regular when there's a full moon.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Poster King

I'm heading to Chamonix on the 26th Dec for a week with a group of about 6 or 7 single lads. Mixed ability (from very experienced to intermediate) of snowboarders and skiiers.
    Staying in Hotel Gustavia which I think is pretty central and above one of main apres ski bars, Chambre Neuf I think, so happy about that. We'll have out own 4 x4s so hopefully getting to the lifts in the morning won't be a problem.

We are keen to find a good party for New Year's eve. Has anyone got any suggestions. I think it might be a good idea to book in advance.

Also, I'm keen to do the Vallee Blanche. Should I book a guide in advance? I'm aware that it is a busy week so I guess I probably should. What happens if the weather is poor, do they still go?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 585 ✭✭✭a147pro

Should I book a guide in advance? I'm aware that it is a busy week so I guess I probably should. What happens if the weather is poor, do they still go?

would think so, though I presume you'll get stung with a fee even if you can't go then. they will not go if the route is not safe. weather not the only concern, the amount of snow around may be

trapper, are they your own shots from the Gran Monte? great shot, wide angle lens and digital?

also, more practically, how close is the Hotel De La Couronne to the lift in Argentiere? I can't believe how cheap it is.

a147pro wrote: »
    trapper, are they your own shots from the Gran Monte? great shot, wide angle lens and digital?

also, more practically, how close is the Hotel De La Couronne to the lift in Argentiere? I can't believe how cheap it is.

I've stayed in Argentiere a few times. Im not sure where this hotel is, however the village is quite small (Argentiere is really only one street) so no where is really more that 10/15min ish walk to the Gran Montets lifts.

Im staying in Argentiere when I head back again in March.:D

anywhere cheap Mitch? I thought I was doing well at 90 euro a night in a decent apartment in the centre of Chamonix. 60 in Argentiere pretty tempting, albeit its without brekkie.

a147pro wrote: »
    anywhere cheap Mitch? I thought I was doing well at 90 euro a night in a decent apartment in the centre of Chamonix. 60 in Argentiere pretty tempting, albeit its without brekkie.

Cheap.... well I got an apartment in Chamonix for a week at the start of January for EUR40.00 pppn which is not too bad. Im heading back in March to Argentiere for 2 weeks but I had nothing to do with the booking of that apartment so dont know what its costing. If your looking for cheap you could look at a hostel here: http://www.hostelbookers.com/hostels/france/chamonix/ or this crowd
    http://www.budgetski.ie/pdf%20resorts%202010/argentieres%20ski%202010.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭acurno

Can't seem to find a piste map online anywhere for Chamonix does anyone know where there would be?Loads of lift maps but wouldn't mind seeing all the runs. Heading there on Saturday and would like to have some sort of plan ready rather than rushing around on Sunday morning and missing the morning snow.

Also, our apartment is a stones throw from the Aiguille du Midi cablecar. Is there actually any slopes up there? Just seems to be an observation deck for Mont Blanc from what I can see.
    Would people recommend going straight to Argentiere to start the boarding? There's 3 of us, all beginner-intermediary boarders. Or should we just start off at the Brevent area to shake the dust from the boards and limbs before hitting the main areas?

Any suggestions appreciated!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Poster King

You'll find piste maps here http://www.compagniedumontblanc.fr/presentation_domaines.php
    The Aiguille du Midi is all off piste terrain. Best area for easy skiing is Domaine de Balme. Take bus to Le Tour. There is some lovely easy skiing on the Grands Montets too in the trees.
    Check here every morning if you can for lift status before making a decision where to go
    http://www.chamonet.com/lift-system/chamonix-real-time-lift-status.htm
    I was in Chamonix last week and there was up to a meter of fresh snow up high. Lower runs got hit with a lot of rain, but I believe Domaine de Balme was good last weekend as it got a foot of snow on Thursday and Friday. Weather is set to remain cold so snow should last.
    Chambre Neuf is a must for Apres Ski. There is a great little basement restaurant, great value, small door beside Le Pub on the main street which does great pizza and a whole lot more, the duck was divine.

Advertisement