Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tattoos and jobs???

Options
  • 13-09-2009 11:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭

Howa lads, this is an argument me and my bro have alot. I say that if you have tattoos that are very visable like a sleeve or just one on your forarm or maybe one on your neck it will affect you trying to get a job and then he says the opposite. My question is what are your views, will it affect getting a job or not?:confused::confused:

Chears
    Jason

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭!!!

No 'real' answer to this question as it obviously varies, but personally yes, I do believe tattoos hinder job opportunities and I myself would hide all visible tattoos for any kind of interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Diceicle

If you have facial tattoos or neck tattoos then, yeah I'd say that it would as they tend to intimidate people or depending on how well they're done scream "convict!", however if you have arm or leg tattoos I dont see how they'd affect job prospects as surely they'd be covered by a suit when you're being interviewed? If you're showing up to interviews in shorts and a t-shirt then you've probably got bigger problems. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

I'd keep em covered for an interview but then the question is, what about when ya get the job?? I have a tat on my foot which is sometimes visible, but for the type of work i do I work in a reasonably relaxed office. I'd love to get a sleeve but think that would be too much for work. Also the next job I have could have a major problem with tats. It sucks tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 9,252 ✭✭✭FTA69

It depends like, if you're trying to get work labouring or as a tradesman on a site or whatever a tattoo on your arm isn't going to make a f*ck of a difference. If you're applying for a job as a primary school teacher with a tattoo on the side of your neck you obviously aren't going to get the position.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭_sparkie_

you have to remember people are biased, no matter what they say. everybody now days talks about equality and all that stuff but if you try and get a government job with a tattoo on your neck,hands,face, they will be against you before they even hear about what you have to offer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭dearg lady

true, and I think some jobs would even have a dress code to cover that. Although, in sayin that, I remember working very briefly in a job where a guy did have tattoos on his face, covering his whole face, kinda maori lookin tats. I was dying to have a chat to him to see how people here perceived it, but I moved sections before I got a chance, didn't wanna just randomly go up and ask him, thought that could be a bit annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭tfak85

i'm a care assistant in a hospital and am soon to be a student midwife, i have both my wrists tattooed and i'm getting a half sleeve, nothing gets said to me in work about them, apart from positive comments from the patients...
    in this day and age while people have private prejudices a persons individuality has to be respected..
    so long as your tatts are not real offensive and can be covered for interview i don't see a problem...neck tattoos can be a bit intimidating though..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,029 ✭✭✭Lockstep

It really depends on the job to be honest, I mainly work in the asscrack of retail and it's extremely common for company policy to prohibit visible tattoos.
    However, I never really bother covering mine and the employers never bothered me about it either. But I'd say in a job where apperance is extremely important then tattoos can be a barring factor.

barwork is a different kettle of fish, never had any problems there at all in relation to tattoos.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

Worked for the government before and now work in a very corporate job, never got anything except positive comments on my tattoos either from the public or from colleagues. But none of them are on my hands, face or neck, and tbh I don't think I'd ever get tattoos in those places, I like being able to go down to the corner shop without getting comments.

• Registered Users Posts: 718 ✭✭✭heyjay14

Seems to be alot of different answers, I suppose it really comes down to what job your after..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 439 ✭✭Jammy

My sister has just started as a primary school teacher and she HAS to hide her tattoo which is down near her ankle. It's lovely but she can't wear skirts or dresses to work now!

They'll have to change that soon though as tattoos become more popular.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭feelpablo

isnt there an old saying dont get a tattoo where a judge can see it!!!

I'm fairly well covered at this stage, half sleeve on one arm... random tats on the other.... both legs done and chest but i always said id never hands, neck or face done

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Cookie Jar

I work in retail and have been told to "show off" my tattoo's and piercings :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

no one says boo to me in work, just get the odd person poking at them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,157 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Basicvally it will be an issue in some jobs, so yea imo, it does affect your chances.
    Obviously not all jobs, but you never know what field you'll be in in 10 years, nor what the attitude will be in the future

Advertisement