Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is it too late to plant/replant trees

Options
  • 13-09-2009 10:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,399 ✭✭✭

We have 5 trees in our garden that were put down by a landscaper and despite our concerns that are too close to the house and will in time block light from the sunroom, he went ahead and placed them between 10 and 15feet from the house (they are also blocking the view of the garden).

Can I safely move them without killing them at this stage. They are down about 3 months now. One is a willow and the others are ash I believe.

Finally, I want to plant some fruit trees to replace our apple trees that are being killed off by rabbits chewing on the bark. Can I plant new fruit trees now and how can I protect them from the pesky rabbits (I sound like elmer fudd now!!).

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,139 ✭✭✭artieanna

It's importand that you don't move the trees until november/december/january (after we get some frosts). This is when trees are dormant and shut down for winter. When digging them try not to damage the roots much and replant in a generous hole.

They should be grand then....

try putting a cage of chicken wire around the fruit trees to stop rabbits getting near....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

yeah, it's best to only plant/move deciduous trees in winter to stop putting too much a strain on them.

Advertisement