Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5th year panic stations already!

Options
  • 12-09-2009 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭

Hi everyone :)

Did TY last year and have just started 5th year. I was really looking forward to starting this year, now though, I'm in a complete panic.
    I got really good results in my JC, and, have always been an extremely hard worker. I'm used to putting in the work & then reaping the rewards, but, if things keep going the way they're going, then, I doubt I'll be able to keep up the such high standards.

From the very first day I really haven't stopped. There hasn't been a night yet where I haven't been doing homework until 9/10 o'clock.
    Got my first Art History essay this week too along with a History one. I'm not exaggerating when I say I spent all day today doing these essays.
    I'd already been up really late last night trying to clear off some of my Friday's night homework so I could have some kind of a break this weekend, but, I'm absolutely shattered.
    Teachers say "Guys, you have all weekend to do it" - but, how is it fair that as well as working non-stop throughout the week, our supposed "breaks" are filled with work too?
    Fair enough, we have all week to do the History & Art History essays, but, I still ended up having to do them on the weekend because there isn't enough time to do them on a weekday, when, they too have already been filled with mountains of work.

Every class I go into, I'm just trying desperately to try & absorb it, but, it just feels physically impossible to take in everything from every subject.
    There's just so much already and it's only been just over a week lol

I don't blame the teachers, at the end of the day, they have a job to do.
    But, I just feel so exhausted already, and, am seriously worried that the next two years are going to follow the same trend.

It's just so hard to believe that one person could be expected to do this pace of work for the next two years.
    I'm by no means a lazy person, and, I had anticipated a tough few years ahead. But, quite honestly, not this much.
    I'm not the only one feeling like this though in my year, which, does grant me some comfort. I think the majority of us are still in shock! :rolleyes:

One of my friends (who got all A's & B's in the JC) was almost in tears the other day after coming out of history, she just felt so overwhelmed by the whole prospect of what's to come.
    I really want to do well, but, that idea may well be much harder to achieve than originally thought. And, it's only 5th year at the moment! 6th year must be dreadful!

Rant almost over :p
    So, basically tell me the truth - does it ease off at all, or, are we just going to have to bite our tongues & somehow plod along for the next two years?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭AddictedToYou

:eek:I mustn't be working at all...

Feck!

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭ChristinaIndigo

Feck!

lol Fancy trading schools?! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Dante

You'll get used to it fairly quickly....no need to panic in 5th year at all. Just give it a few weeks and you'll be grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 127 ✭✭AddictedToYou

lol Fancy trading schools?! :D

Haha! Probably not by the sounds of it..

We haven't been getting that much really. Having said that I am doing neither Art nor History, so that could be part of it.

A few friends and I went to the park today actually to 'study'. Was reeeally nice, and we actually got like 5 or 6 pages of Chemistry done! :p That has been the extent of my homework so far this weekend...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭sean0

I thought I did enough work :eek: It will defo get easier for you as the year goes on and you get into a routine but the way your going at the moment your set up for a nice leaving cert!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

One of my friends (who got all A's & B's in the JC) was almost in tears the other day after coming out of history, she just felt so overwhelmed by the whole prospect of what's to come.
    I really want to do well, but, that idea may well be much harder to achieve than originally thought. And, it's only 5th year at the moment! 6th year must be dreadful!

So, basically tell me the truth - does it ease off at all, or, are we just going to have to bite our tongues & somehow plod along for the next two years?

Ye history will be akiller... You have to learn stuff from like 4 books... My mate did it and hated it... Apart from that subject thop everything else isnt too long...I know that it is easy for us to say but u'll realise that in some courses u only have to learn certain chapters as they are "more important"... It cuts the work down...But u'll be fine trust me

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭Delta Kilo

Dude/chick (insert relevant gender here) relax, seriously you are going to burn out and have a breakdown.

The Leaving Cert is NOT, I repeat NOT as hard or as overwhelming as it appears to be. You will be fine, if you think the teachers are overworking you and your classmates agree, then tell her! You're a senior student now, they will listen to you.

Things will eventually "click" into place, do not get worried this early. Just make sure that you can get the general gist of topics, the finer details can be added next year.

I'm going to use maths as an example. Don't worry about not being able to do the last few questions in the section (the harder ones), even if it is only the first few that you can do, you are ok. In maths, everything is repeated, eg algebra is used everywhere, so subconciously your algebra is improving and all of a sudden you will be able to do the more difficult questions that you previously couldn't. If you can scrape a c3 in christmas/summer tests then you are doing ok. Everything will click in all subjects during the LC. I was getting C's and D's in higher maths all through the leaving cert, but I got a B in the LC exam.

Remember, the same applies for ALL subjects, just relax. All you can do with this elephant is eat him one spoon at a time:D

On a side note, I never realised eVeNtInE was so young:eek::eek::D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,962 ✭✭✭jumpguy

Feck!
    Damn that's what I thought too!

I've found the best thing about leaving cert is that I'm doing far less subjects I don't like (except Irish and German my foreign language, but I'm good at German) so I absorb more in class. The teachers also seem to be more relaxed and there's a less condescending child-adult feel. I'm having a fairly breezy time. Despite my best laid plans, I ended up spending Friday and Saturday outside and enjoying the sun so I left my homework til tomorrow...it's only a few hours worth at the most. I really don't understand WHAT you are doing at all! Is everything you're doing ASSIGNED homework or just extra study on your part? That's really unbelievable. I'm not doing art or history (unless art history is a subject :confused: ) though.
    Ask your classmates how much they're doing first I'd say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭Mary007

Ya in all fairness 5th year does feel like a breeze by the time you get to 6 th year and you only have something like 8 months till the Leaving Cert:(

You sound like you're really panicking, don't worry you will get everything done it's just the shock of having to do work after being in TY. You realise that JC didn't really matter at all, it was just basically a practise for your leaving cert mocks.

I'm in LC now and it's not a whole bunch of fun - typical evening is 4 hours of just homework which brings you up to about 8 pm, then possibly 2 hours of revision/ looking up courses for CAO or UCAS or any deadlines you have to get in. And then a shower or whatever before bed.

If your school is like ours and leaves the History RSR til this year then you can add in a few more hours of research for that - possibly reading a book or whatever and drafts of essays etc.

The most important thing in 5th year is just do your homework! Enjoy the bit of freedom you still have because you don't have time to scratch in 6th! Good luck:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭QOTSA90

5th year is grand, just stop listening now and take a load off.. youll be doin the same work next year anyways :P

• Registered Users Posts: 9,553 ✭✭✭soccymonster

At least someone is the same as me. Not getting a load of homework in fairness (half an hours worth so far..) but the amount of study i do each night just to be able to walk into the classroom the next morning understanding what we did the previous day is wrecking my head!!

Damn you chemistry! :rolleyes:

jumpguy wrote: »
    I really don't understand WHAT you are doing at all! Is everything you're doing ASSIGNED homework or just extra study on your part? That's really unbelievable. I'm not doing art or history (unless art history is a subject :confused: ) though.

Yup, it's all assigned work, which, I'm finding is the problem. I really can't see how I'm actually going to find time to do extra study, it's crazy.

And, Art History is part of Art as a whole subject. It's looking as though Art & History was quite a bad subject combo because the essays just take such a huge chunk out of my time.
    I do still want to do both of them though, I guess it's just a case of trying to find way of managing my time, and, quite possibly coming to terms with the fact that my social-life may take a bit of a knock lol :rolleyes:

I'm really surprised to hear though that a good few of you in 5th year atm aren't getting an awful lot of work :confused:
    My whole year basically feels as though they're floundering already.

Hopefully we'll adjust, but, at the moment we'll just have to keep plodding.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

OP you've just got to relax. You've only just come from TY so the level of homework you're receiving and have to do in 5th year compared to TY will seem like a mountain of work.

Yes there's a lot of work involved but don't stress yourself out too much. It's good to see that you're tryng to keep on top of your work but you need to take a break to recharge your batteries. The weekend is meant to be a break.

You should do the bulk of your homework on a Friday evening if you can, lie in on Saturday morning, have your breakfast etc and in the afternoon finish off your homework so that you have the rest of Saturday and the entire day of Sunday to relax and take some time out for yourself.

It will take a little bit of time to adjust but give it a week or two and you'll be more accustomed to 5th year life.

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

When I did the Leaving Cert, I didn't bother with homework til the last week and that was only because I was trying to score the hot French teacher. I started studying about half and hour before the exams and turned up late to every one of them and left early. Got Corp. Law in Galway.

Shtop yer whingin

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Yillan wrote: »
    When I did the Leaving Cert, I didn't bother with homework til the last week and that was only because I was trying to score the hot French teacher. I started studying about half and hour before the exams and turned up late to every one of them and left early. Got Corp. Law in Galway.

Shtop yer whingin

Sure ya did. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

Shtop yer whingin
    Why do people always feel the need to say they did no work and got high points? It's turning into the lamest bragging competition
    "I only did a half an hours and got into law"
    "I did no study and now I'm doing Pharmacy"
    "I didn't even show up to the exams and I got into medicine!"

Seriously, no one believes you.

I didnt study til the week before the exams, I failed Maths and Irish. I resat Maths and Irish, again I didnt study, I failed Irish.

Moral of the story: FOOKIN STUDY!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭captainspeckle

Shtop yer whingin

yeah am im sure you did really well with that.

you are clearly lying. and its sad. really sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭captainspeckle

QOTSA90 wrote: »
    I didnt study til the week before the exams, I failed Maths and Irish. I resat Maths and Irish, again I didnt study, I failed Irish.

Moral of the story: FOOKIN STUDY!!!!

seriously? im sorry, but why didnt you study, especially the second time around!

• Advertisement

Im the defintion if procrastination. There is only 2 things in the world that I will work at and do a good job of it, they are football and my girlfriend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 407 ✭✭OxfordComma

Seriously, don't worry.

The difficulty of the LC subjects comes as a real shock to the system when you start 5th year, especially when compared with the JC. But don't worry, they get a lot easier as you get closer to the exams. I remember freaking out just a little at the start of 5th year when I saw how massive some of the courses were (History, Business etc) and how difficult some of the others were (Maths, Chem etc). But they become a lot more manageable and a lot less daunting as time goes on.

Also, don't worry about trying to remember everything you hear in class in 5th year. You've got your entire LC year to learn the courses, so chill for the time being :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

5th year is not as bad as its made out to be! Just keep up with your homework and pay attention in class and you'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

It's only the Leaving Cert.

It's only the Leaving Cert.

Unfortunately it won't be "only the leaving cert" when I end up not being able to do my preferred college course lol

I wish it wasn't the way things worked in this country, but, lump it or like it - it is :(
    I really think the education system here causes way too many issues for young people, it really is a lot of pressure.
    I have friends who were A1 students the whole way through school, and, then just had a really bad day on an exam & completely screw it up.
    How is the LC an accurate reading of someones abilities when they got an A2 in the mocks to then turn around & fail the actually LC exam?
    Its not an accurate reading at all for people who may suffer more from nerves or susceptibility to pressure.

I think England has a much better system, less subjects that are more focused & more in tune with what you actually want to do when you leave school. Quite honestly there is no point whatsoever in me taking half of my subjects.
    I know it all adds to "experience", and, may open up more future opportunities, but, we could at least have more of a choice lol

I'd love a subject choice that included things like Drama, or, just a course based purely on English Literature - things like that. Instead of just doing an overall run-through, wouldn't it be nice to know a subject inside out and to put that towards your future?
    I think that'd be nice anyway....... lol
    Yet again my idealistic way of thinking crops up :D

I basically just think the whole system needs an overhaul and that less focus needs to be put on doing well in one exam, to, maybe building more on students skills.

You still get people going right from Junior Infants to 6th year studying Irish, then, when asked after leaving school to say a sentence in Irish - they say "Tá an ghrian ag taitneamh" :rolleyes:
    So, how is that at all beneficial to the majority of students?

Anyway, second rant over :p
    Finished my homework quite early tonight as I had a free class earlier, so, that was grand.

For all the responses so far - thank you :)
    Can always count on the good oul' Irish to calm you down!

x

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 emzxxx

Unfortunately it won't be "only the leaving cert" when I end up not being able to do my preferred college course lol

I wish it wasn't the way things worked in this country, but, lump it or like it - it is :(
    I really think the education system here causes way too many issues for young people, it really is a lot of pressure.
    I have friends who were A1 students the whole way through school, and, then just had a really bad day on an exam & completely screw it up.
    How is the LC an accurate reading of someones abilities when they got an A2 in the mocks to then turn around & fail the actually LC exam?
    Its not an accurate reading at all for people who may suffer more from nerves or susceptibility to pressure.

I think England has a much better system, less subjects that are more focused & more in tune with what you actually want to do when you leave school. Quite honestly there is no point whatsoever in me taking half of my subjects.
    I know it all adds to "experience", and, may open up more future opportunities, but, we could at least have more of a choice lol

I'd love a subject choice that included things like Drama, or, just a course based purely on English Literature - things like that. Instead of just doing an overall run-through, wouldn't it be nice to know a subject inside out and to put that towards your future?
    I think that'd be nice anyway....... lol
    Yet again my idealistic way of thinking crops up :D

I basically just think the whole system needs an overhaul and that less focus needs to be put on doing well in one exam, to, maybe building more on students skills.

x

yea I see what you mean, heard a lot of people saying things like that lately and it's soo true though, you know it's not so easy to learn a course inside out and be guaranteed the grade for your leaving cert,,I mean depends on your luck on the day, could go good or bad no matter what sort of student you are.

It has annoyed me a lot to think by losing out just by so many points, even 5, that you can't get into a course you want...,I think it's harder here now, all it's about is points and college. tbh england has a better system focusing on 3 subjects or so many of their choice...,not saying it's easier but it's prob better, like you said none of that points stuff. really what would be better maybe here is do what they do a bit of in england, students do work over the year which goes towards a good bit of the overall result...like i know we do projects and that here for some exams but it usually only counts for about 20% if even, anyway i won't go into a big rant lol

my feelings might change ha can't see it happening, just gotta get through it:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,761 ✭✭✭Lawliet

emzxxx wrote: »
    students do work over the year which goes towards a good bit of the overall result...like i know we do projects and that here for some exams but it usually only counts for about 20% if even, anyway i won't go into a big rant lol
    Am I the only one who hates projects? Especially group projects. All that happens is the teacher tells exactly what to write down, and if your unfortunate enough to be in a group of dossers everyone else will copy your work.

I'd much prefer continuous assessment like they have in the US.

^ I don't have a major problem with projects - it is annoying though, like you say, being put with someone who just isn't bothered.
    I much prefer to go solo when it comes to things like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Omnomnom

I just started 5th year and I'm finding it pretty handy! Your school must be very strict! It'll be worth all the work in the end though:D Just take a laid back approach to it and don't pull your hair out if you dont get the odd bit of homework done on time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 395 ✭✭AntoSRFC

Hi everyone :)

Did TY last year and have just started 5th year. I was really looking forward to starting this year, now though, I'm in a complete panic.
    I got really good results in my JC, and, have always been an extremely hard worker. I'm used to putting in the work & then reaping the rewards, but, if things keep going the way they're going, then, I doubt I'll be able to keep up the such high standards.

From the very first day I really haven't stopped. There hasn't been a night yet where I haven't been doing homework until 9/10 o'clock.
    Got my first Art History essay this week too along with a History one. I'm not exaggerating when I say I spent all day today doing these essays.
    I'd already been up really late last night trying to clear off some of my Friday's night homework so I could have some kind of a break this weekend, but, I'm absolutely shattered.
    Teachers say "Guys, you have all weekend to do it" - but, how is it fair that as well as working non-stop throughout the week, our supposed "breaks" are filled with work too?
    Fair enough, we have all week to do the History & Art History essays, but, I still ended up having to do them on the weekend because there isn't enough time to do them on a weekday, when, they too have already been filled with mountains of work.

Every class I go into, I'm just trying desperately to try & absorb it, but, it just feels physically impossible to take in everything from every subject.
    There's just so much already and it's only been just over a week lol

I don't blame the teachers, at the end of the day, they have a job to do.
    But, I just feel so exhausted already, and, am seriously worried that the next two years are going to follow the same trend.

It's just so hard to believe that one person could be expected to do this pace of work for the next two years.
    I'm by no means a lazy person, and, I had anticipated a tough few years ahead. But, quite honestly, not this much.
    I'm not the only one feeling like this though in my year, which, does grant me some comfort. I think the majority of us are still in shock! :rolleyes:

Jesus Christ someone give this person a drink. I take it your a girl because i cant honestly see a lad getting so worked up over something small like this. I wouldnt descibe myself as a model student but i got a A nd 8 Bs and 2 Cs all higher in my JC with relativly no work. And yes 5th year is a lot harder but f*ck me you are gona be your own worse enemy if you carry on like this. And read that again. You are gona be your worst enemy. You need to relax more obviously i recomend doing the work but it really is important to have time for yourself. Make sure you leave time to hang around with your mates and time for excersive/training if you play sports. I personly took Fridays off and had training during the week.
    You also seem to be worrying about keeping up the such high standards. That to me seems like your worried what other people will think. Get rid of that mindset the only thing im worried about is me not reaching my own potential. There is a plan B for everything. Theres always plenty of ways of getting into different courses so dont worry about that.
    If i was you i would stop any work you doing now. Take the rest of the night off and get a good night sleep. Start fresh in the morning with a whole new outlook on the next year because the way you are goin now you will implode when you are put under any pressure.

Advertisement