Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Halloween is approaching....opinions on an idea of mine?

Options
  • 12-09-2009 8:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭

Hey all,

I want to make something unique this year, I wont divulge the exact details, but needless to say it'll be a head turner if it works:)

I want to make a mask/helmet that in essence is a large sphere. I looked online for ages for a large plastic/fibre item that I could use, but nothing that wouldnt cost an arm and a leg. So, the backup plan is this:

Buy one spherical lamp shade - €8.00
    eBayISAPI.dll?VISuperSize&item=370257951372

Add multiple layers of paper maché, yes, paper maché, onto the shade with something durable like wallpaper paste. I'd probably give it like 10-15 layers minimum. I can use a load of shredded high quality print paper for the first few layers, then newspaper/industrial sheets(junk).

I'd then need to smoothen it with some kind of filler, suggestions on this please.

Finally comes the spray system and a nice primer, main colour and finally a high gloss lacquer.

I've left a few minor aesthetics out, but they arent important. What is crucial, is I'm gonna be heading in to town for the night, so durability is an issue. Do you think it could hold up? Any tricks to make it stronger? I dont mind adding a bit of weight.

Thanks in advance for any contributions,
    Lethal.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭stitchlily

You dont need the lampshade, as all that will do is add weight to it. If you do want the lampshade shape than I suggest you wrap it in clingfilm then remove it afterwards. Otherwise it'll be too heavy.

A few years ago I made the scary rabbit from Donny Darko, the mask had to be very durable and strong. I just taped 2 balloons together, then some clingfilm to round them off. Then start putting on papier mache. You don't even need to shred it, just thin strips about an inch wide, dip into wallpaper paste and smooth them down as you go. It's amazing how smooth you can make it without having to fuss too much. It took about 2 weeks in total to do the layering, ( I only did a bit each night), I was trying to really detail the teeth! Then once it was finished the balloons burst, clingfilm removed, I painted it with with acrylic paint. Add a dash of PVA glue to the Acrylic paint, and it will not only make your structure stronger, it will make seal it properly. Then finally give it a coat of watered PVA glue, this will give you the sheen you want. No need for primer, filler or lacquer!

This mask has lasted a few Halloweens, and fancy dress parties...

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

stitchlily wrote: »
    You dont need the lampshade, as all that will do is add weight to it. If you do want the lampshade shape than I suggest you wrap it in clingfilm then remove it afterwards. Otherwise it'll be too heavy.

A few years ago I made the scary rabbit from Donny Darko, the mask had to be very durable and strong. I just taped 2 balloons together, then some clingfilm to round them off. Then start putting on papier mache. You don't even need to shred it, just thin strips about an inch wide, dip into wallpaper paste and smooth them down as you go. It's amazing how smooth you can make it without having to fuss too much. It took about 2 weeks in total to do the layering, ( I only did a bit each night), I was trying to really detail the teeth! Then once it was finished the balloons burst, clingfilm removed, I painted it with with acrylic paint. Add a dash of PVA glue to the Acrylic paint, and it will not only make your structure stronger, it will make seal it properly. Then finally give it a coat of watered PVA glue, this will give you the sheen you want. No need for primer, filler or lacquer!

This mask has lasted a few Halloweens, and fancy dress parties...

Thank you stitchlily:D Thats exactly the kind of insight I wanted.

I will probably start next friday, so that will give me plenty of time. My little sister is sure to be an able volunteer too:p I may leave in the shade, they are quite light and as this is gonna be 16" in diameter I'm gonna need to put some kind of rigid headwear inside to keep it up off my shoulders. The struts could be connected about ear level and I'll add on top.

How thick did yours end up being? How many coats was that?

Also, I'd love a pic:D

Sorry, haven't been able to check back before now. It's years ago, and I can't remember properly. It's about 1/2"-3/4", thick, I'd say mabye 8/9 layers. I actually haven't any pics of it with the full outfit. I made a fake fur rompersuite, with white patch on the front, so it was very very hot, I ended up having to put extra airholes in the mask. I had to rush it towards the end, so it isn't as smooth as I would have liked. It was my first time doing papermachie since a kid.

These pics are of a very battered mask that has seen a lot of parties!

3929096304_f6ac63d611_m.jpg3929153702_ef4a5a4573_m.jpg

The actual scary rabbit can be seen here

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

stitchlily wrote: »
    3929096304_f6ac63d611_m.jpg3929153702_ef4a5a4573_m.jpg

The actual scary rabbit can be seen here

That is fantastic Stitchlily - excellent!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

I cant wait to get started now. This is gonna be great [hopefully].

Thanks for your input, I'll have progress pics up in a week or so I'd say:)

• Advertisement

Your welcome! Thought I don't know exactly what I did to help... am very curious to see what you have planned...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

Deadly thanks for this lads very handy. I'll be making one too and if it works out i'll post the results.

Cheers

Advertisement