Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Complete Newbie

Options
  • 12-09-2009 4:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭

Just after installing Ubuntu as my OS due to making a balls of my Windows os. I cant get my Creative Webcam working. I have no idea about the whole "Terminal" thing. I've managed to follow a few online things telling me to get Wine and other things but I am at a loss at how to get my webcam working.

Can someone please tell me an easy way and explain as if you were talking to a 5 year old.

Sorry and thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

One thing you have to realise is that it might not work at all. This is not due to any deficiency in Linux, it's because sometimes hardware manufacturers sometimes don't disclose the information the Linux developers need to write proper drivers.

Is it a usb webcam? If it is, make sure it's plugged in and then open a terminal and type:
    lsusb

Please copy and paste the info from the terminal into your next reply here.

This command just displays more info about your webcam, it doesn't do anything to get it working, just yet anyway.

P.S. Don't be afraid of the terminal, it's grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭sparky360

Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 003 Device 003: ID 041e:4034 Creative Technology, Ltd WebCam Instant
    Bus 003 Device 002: ID 03f0:011d Hewlett-Packard Integrated Bluetooth Module
    Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub

I'm so confused!!!!! What are the benefits of Ubuntu over windows?

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭duffman85

Hi Sparky.

If found this page:

http://connect.creativelabs.com/opensource/Lists/Webcams/AllItems.aspx

which might be a help to you. It has a list of Creative's webcams with links to where you might find drivers/help for your webcam.

If you can't find anything there, see if you can try here: http://mxhaard.free.fr/spca5xx.html
    sparky360 wrote: »
    I'm so confused!!!!! What are the benefits of Ubuntu over windows?
    It's Free,more secure,lots of free software is available,it can be customised with themes,it just works better most of the time.

The only annoying part is when some bits of hardware -webcams,graphics cards don't work quite right. However there are loads of forums,particularly for ubuntu which can help you out/point in the right direction.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 358 ✭✭sparky360

thanks for that buddy. I've downloaded the driver. But now its telling me i need to update a kernel or something. Maybe i should go back to windows....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,377 ✭✭✭An Fear Aniar

sparky360 wrote: »
    thanks for that buddy. I've downloaded the driver. But now its telling me i need to update a kernel or something. Maybe i should go back to windows....

There are huge benefits to using Linux (some good reasons listed here: http://www.whylinuxisbetter.net/).

I've been doing some Googling so try this:

In a terminal, run this command to install a video library you will need:
    sudo apt-get install libv4l-0

Then install Cheese,
    sudo apt-get install cheese

Start up Cheese, you'll find it in Applications/Graphics.

Hopefully you should get a picture.

• Advertisement
Advertisement