Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Uk used car prices rise due to shortage

Options
  • 12-09-2009 3:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭

It was on BBC this morning that use prices are going through the roof in the UK due to short supply. This seems a bit mad. Any move here yet? Doubtful Id say

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Unlikely here yet. We're screwed cos of the CO2 changes last year, meaning cars pre July 2008 are worth nothing, and aren't gonna increase cos of the tax rates on older cars

• Registered Users Posts: 9,366 ✭✭✭ninty9er

mickdw wrote: »
    It was on BBC this morning that use prices are going through the roof in the UK due to short supply. This seems a bit mad. Any move here yet? Doubtful Id say
    Definitely. Most dealers forecourts I've been on in the last few weeks have vacant spaces on them and I've been told that particular second hand models are "impossible to keep in stock."

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Unlikely here yet. We're screwed cos of the CO2 changes last year, meaning cars pre July 2008 are worth nothing, and aren't gonna increase cos of the tax rates on older cars

I agree that say a 2007 car that took a large drop in road tax on the 2008+ cars is always going to be hard to shift. Prices though for cheap tax 2008 cars are pretty low though here now compared to their new prices too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Prices for new cars wont be going up for a long time i'd imagine, but the used stuff has risen price-wise recently.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

That's only on the more fuel efficient cars though. Would a pre-2008 RX8 not be a lot cheaper to tax than a post-2008 one?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭Redisle

Not sure about price hikes but it's possible there is a shortage beginning to appear. Was around to most of the main garages in Cork the last few days and all of them are saying there's a shortage of used cars. Citing the fact the for the last few years people would have bought new and traded in 3/4 year old cars, now people aren't bothering changing or buying second hand so there's not much used stock. Honestly there was very few 03-05 cars in the garages, nearly all 07-09. One garage in Bandon mentioned that last year they would have had a stock of about 250.. currently have a stock of about 90..

If the garages start raising prices it's just less business for them tbh, private sales would then look all the sweeter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

I think its only kinda "recession friendly" cars that are in short supply. A relative of mine is in the car business and he says the kind of cars people are looking for are, around 02 - 06 diesels.Stuff that is mostly under €10K yet still as efficient as a new car. Makes sense i suppose..

• Registered Users Posts: 23,266 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

The uk are scraping alot of cars that typically would last for a few more years so I suppose it makes sense that demand would go up for the cars that are left.
    Lots of stories on TV this morning from auctions and people who were offered very good deals from garages to change from their 2 year old car to a new one.

Advertisement