Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cannonball run and hypocrisy.......rant..kinda...

Options
  • 11-09-2009 9:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭

...most daytimes, I listen to the Mooney show.

Not because it's great, but because all the rest are pure rubbish. But he does have some good stuff on, and, more often than not, some stuff that'd get you as mad as hell. This usually comes in the form of 'green' and 'environment'.

I email quite a lot, usually vociferously ;) ...on a range of subjects.

However, the Cannonball thing didn't catch me 'ear' as, tbh, well......it's not local..........but it got me to thinking about the hypocrisy of, well varoius, not just Derek's stance, on a bunch of things, especially with regard to cars, petrol, CO2, yada, yada, yada......

The car is the Big Baddy in the room, usually for those interests. But, guess what, when you want to tap into a vein of (usually) selflessness, generosity, good nature, or indeed, need to raise funds for something worthy(and I've attended those, too), isn't it amazing the power that the likes of cars (Cannonball) or motorcycles (Make a Wish, various Toy Run's) have for those ends?

And it's all good.

But, come Monday, or Tuesday, no doubt there'll be some crackpot back on the Mooney Show being lauded about some half-baked plan to further penalise the people like us who inhabit here. Oh, and provide the 'metal' for the crowds to ogle at, at otherwise worthwhile events.........'til next year that is.

Time for this, methinks:

...funny old world, really.................(discuss...)...

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 162 ✭✭ChristyCent

what are you talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭DJ Hafez

It raises great money for charity. I think it deserves the airtime. If that's what you're on about :confused::confused::confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,506 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Didnt realise the Cannonball run was on until today on my way to Cork I was past by a Red 360 and a white Lambo.. I was wondering why two nice cars on that road at once..!
    Until I passed through the Toll bridge...
    I was gutted I didnt have my camera with me.. What a host of Georgous metal parked on the side of the road :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

For anyone who wants to see some very cool footage of the Cannonball Ireland Rally, I am the official videographer for the Cannonball Charity.

As I type this I am in a hotel lobby in Killarney reviewing some footage from yesterdays shoot.

We have 5 cameras covering the event and some very cool in car footage, we even captured a garda car chasing one of the Cannonballers down the N7 :D

Unfortunately it won't be available online (not yet anyway) as we are putting together an official documentary about the rally which will go on sale to raise money for Barretstown.

But when it does go on sale it will be a good buy for any petrolheads as we will have footage that no one else will have :D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

its heading to galway today......so watch out for all the "D4 heads" and their big ego's;)

"roight roight well ive got a holiday home in the south of france you know"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I just chipping in to rant about your youtube clip

It's muck.
    We rented it with a few lads in college and switched off after 30 minutes.
    Probably the worst film I've seen based on my limited viewing but it's constantly getting referenced and clips get used.

Sure look at the clip, it's just repetition. Repeating examples over and over again. Funny :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

fryup wrote: »
    its heading to galway today......so watch out for all the "D4 heads" and their big ego's;)

"roight roight well ive got a holiday home in the south of france you know"

Watch out for all those dope smoking Galway hippies trying to sell you arts and crafts and knitted hats.

...get a job

Advertisement