Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pre Nursing Course

Options
  • 11-09-2009 6:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭

I have been accepted to do a pre nursing course & I am trying to add up all expenses in my head.
    Is there a uniform? I saw a picture on the college wall of a girl cleaning a wound in a white nurses top, will I need to buy one of those?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 Curlz

Hi There,

Im hoping somone might be able to help me out on this one. I was due to start an evening FETAC course last night and they called me to say it had been cancelled as there wasnt enough people to go ahead with it. It was Human Growth & Develpment. I am appying for Nursing as a mature student next year and was hoping that would help in my appication. I have been looking at other courses but thought I'd see if anyone here might recommend a particular course etc. Am eager to get started on it at this stage. I work full time so only evenings/weekends would suit.

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭Laydee

We're doing human growth and develpomant as a module in the pre nursing course.
    The most helpful module has to be anatomy & physiology though so could you see about doing a night course in that? Thare's a few on Nightcourses.ie

http://www.nightcourses.com/search.html?category_id=131&region_id=89

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭..Summergirl..

Hiya girls,

I'm going to start course in Introductions to Nursing in a week time, its only one module in Introductions to nursing. I've founded it's a great module for the future nursing application. It's in a Progressive-College, and I think they still need people. You can visit their web page and see syllabus for the introductions to nursing. It's 600 € and last till the end of march, and then 2 days exam. We going to start in a week time or so. Also you can take Anatomy & Physiology module, they going to run it in a February, not sure yet.

Hi Laydee, you need to get uniform for your workshop and placement. When I did my HCA course, latter I was asked to get uniform for myself. It depend where you are going to do your work placement, but must at times auxiliary nurses require white tunic with navy trim and navy or black trouser. You can get them in a Arnotts, or there is shop near Abbey str, it cheaper there than in Arnotts. One tunic cost approximately from 20 to 50 €, trousers I've bought in a Penney's, they are more looking unique than the one in a Arnotts.

Curlz, it will be great if you could get some work experience as a care assistants to support your application. I don't think you may require a cert for that, because where I work now there is lots of Polish girls who didn't have any. And we need some people time to time, if you interesting PM me I'll give you address where to apply.

Hi…I was looking online and found that course as well! Its great that its part time and its basically what I have been looking for the whole time!! I might see you at one of the seminars! I am sending my application today as the closing date is end of this week. Look forward to starting it!!:D

That is great news Curlz, so which one you took? Introductions to Nursing?

• Advertisement

Yep...introduction to Nursing...delighted!!

Well done!! What a great news, we might see each other at a workshop day:D

I got told today that I need a white tunic with navy trousers.
    Summergirl, where is that shop near Abbey street? I only know of Arnotts.

Hi Ladyee,

As far I can remember it's at Capel street, just at the back of Jervice shopping centre. The shop name is O'Connors Workwear 148 tel: 018733242. You can order some uniform as well online www.uniforms4u.ie nice one, I do order sometimes online, or at work. It's soo exciting when you are buying all those stuff:)

Do you know yet where your placement will be? Mine was in Nursing home, and on my second day of my placement they offered me a job! I was sooo delighted:D

Good luck

It's in a private hospital, I'm delighted with myself. :D
    Thanks for that shop, I'll have to look into that.

• Advertisement

WAW what a nice start;) Good luck with your uniform and placement. I remember myself how I was excited:D, hope I'll go true same experience again when I'll get place in uni. Are hoping to apply into nursing? or midwifery? sorry for being nosy:o. I want to apply for midwifery, I hope I'll get a place there:rolleyes:.

Don't be silly, I don't think your nosy at all. ;)
    I'm applying for Nursing next year. It's all very exciting :D
    Are you on rollercoaster? you should log in over there too, there's a group of us applying for nursing & midwifery & it's great to chat to other women doing it too.
    http://www.rollercoaster.ie/boards/forum.asp?GroupID=66&forumdb=4

We're the midwifery 2010 thread. :)

Arnotts have a uniform sale on at the moment :Dhttp://www.buy4now.ie/arnottsstore/aspx/shopping.aspx?loc=C&catid=121.2.3.3
    I'll try the shop on capel street too, see where I can get a bargain.

I'm applying for radiography too but with there only being one course in UCD, I doubt I'll be offered. I'm doing radiography work experience in a hospital too during the mid term. I don't know which I'd prefer, hopefully doing some work experience in both will help me decide what gets number 1 on the CAO form.

Thanks Ladyee, I've registered there, nice thread! I've looked at Arnotts web shop, look like there is not that much uniforms on sail? Ahh those uniforms is mine weakest area, I'm dead proud when I'm porting on it:D

Apply for the both, you might surprise you'll get an offer there, you never know:) But I think you'll make very wonderful nurse;).

The Arnotts website does have a disappointing selection but sure I just need something plain so I'm sure I'll find what I'm looking for ;)

I love the uniforms too, when I buy it I'll probably wear it at home due to the excitement :P

There's only 2 or 3 midwifery courses in Dublin, will you put nursing on the CAO form too?

If you get into general nursing & there's dropouts in midwifery, I think you can transfer into midwifery.

:D that's what I did when first I've bought my uniform:D. Yes, I'm going to apply for both GN and RM, I know if I'll apply only for RM then I might as well not get place at all. It would be nice also go into GN and then do 18 month midwifery HD. Hopefully, we all will get there:).

Hiya,

I've received first lesson package today, Corlz did you received it too? And I have to start with my first essay work already...eek Ladyee, are you already starting with essays in your college? I hate them, especially when only 2-3 weeks to finish them.

I've started my anatomy & physiology, health & safety & human growth & development assignments. They're not too bad once you get into it. The human growth & development looks the hardest by far. I got heaps of info from the citizens advice though, the man gave me 6 books :D

Oh, i got the uniform in O'Connors on Capel street. Their selection is huge.
    Arnotts could give me a size 6 or 20, nothing in between. :rolleyes:
    All their tunics were about €26 but when they get their new stock in they'll be €50 again.
    O'Connors only cost me €36 :D

Congrats on your new uniform;) soo exciting isn't it? I started first section in History and Development of the Nursing profession. I've got assignment, its 5 short questions and 3 structural which I need to write minimum of 400 words. Only I did not get if I need to write down 400 words on each question? or all together?
    You're lucky, you have got books! I have to go to library and get something. They've send me some reading stuff but I guess I need some more information. I've been today in DkIT open day, very beautiful place, all students and lectures are soo nice:)I delighted that I went there:).

Arnotts, I don't know what they are selling:cool:, if they do sells at all then you won't really see what will impressed you, and price is really high, for just one uniform.

• Advertisement

Hi girls, how are you going on with your study? Those bloody assignments just killing me! I'm not sleeping till 2-3 am and religiously making research. Because if I'll get poor marks, no chance for me to repeat my work then.

Sorry I havent been on this for a few days…. I only received my folder on Thursday so I havent had much time to study it properly yet! I am going to get it done over the wkend. Hopefully my library will have some of the books that are reccomended! :eek:
    Laydee are you doing the same course?

I felt exactly the same when I saw their recommendation.

I'm doing a full time Introduction to Nursing Studies course, is that what ye are doing?

The human growth & development isn't too bad so far, the anatomy & physiology is hard enough though. I am keeping up with the work no problem but the assignment looks very hard. I must get cracking with it, I just wanted to get the human growth & development over & done with first. :)

I've got 9 questions on mine assignments so far, 6 short, and 3 structural, the last three are pretty tough. And it only beginning... I founded the history and development of nursing together with An Bord Altranais its main function, etc... are very hard one to remember. Ledee, your own must be more harder because you're doing 8 modules, we only 1 in Introduction to nursing. But what they gave us to read it's just a nightmare i have to say!

Hi - Just to let you know DCU have an open day this Friday & Saturday 20th & 21st. http://www.dcu.ie/prospective/openday.shtml They are doing talks on Nursing during the open day so it will be good to get any info!!! Just thought I would mention it...im hoping to go to 11.30 talk on the Friday.:)

Curlz wrote: »
    Hi - Just to let you know DCU have an open day this Friday & Saturday 20th & 21st. http://www.dcu.ie/prospective/openday.shtml They are doing talks on Nursing during the open day so it will be good to get any info!!! Just thought I would mention it...im hoping to go to 11.30 talk on the Friday.:)

Thanks Curlz, i think i can go on Saturday, i.e i'm working on Friday morning :(

Natalie xxx

Got back today my assignment with grade: D so happy :D

Got mine as well :-) :D

• Advertisement

Congrats, nice start :D

Advertisement