Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Research on My Grandfather

Options
  • 11-09-2009 4:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭

Lads I'm trying to research my Granda's history as I've been told it's very colourful, he died before I was born 40 years ago and my mother and her family won't say much, I know he fought in the war of Independence and was jailed in 1929 for possetion of arms and subsequently went on Hunger strike for Political recognition. While it sound like I have a lot already I don't these vague points are all I have and wanted to know where I could find a more detailed account. i.e is there any way of getting his war record now, or his prison and trial details ? I believe he was given a state funeral as he was a war of Independence veteran but I can't find anything on this either, any ideas ??

21/25

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭Brendan552004

What was his name and death year?

Brendan

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Clarifying when he died is the best place to start.
    If he had indeed got a state funeral then the newspapers would have likely reported it.

The LDS indexes go up to 1958 for the Republic (and 1922 for the north) so if he died well over the 40 years ago, you'll find him there.
    For more recent deaths, you'll need to go into either Pearse st library and search on microfilm (slow, quarter by quarter year by year but free) or go into the GRO and search in large books (much quicker but costing €20 plus the cost of up a max of 5 certs @ €4 each).

If you don't want to say his details, that's fine. If you wanted to pm them to me, I can check the Irish Times historical for you.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

His name was George Mooney, he in the sixties, He also fought in the Spanish civil war, but I don't know for which side

21/25

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Uch,

Nothing reported for the entire decade in the Irish Times.

My Irish Independent source isn't as good but it threw up a couple of bits that may or may not be the right George Mooney. There's several mentions of a man called GM being in Mountjoy for assault and later being on hunger strike. Did your grandfather have a sister called Brenda? A lot of references too to a GM who was a furniture dealer on Dorset St.

This seemed possibly related but had no other information.
    11/03/1932
    George Mooney sentenced by military tribunal to 6 months for contempt of court in December 1931.

Sorry I can't be more help.

Pinky

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 3,743 ✭✭✭smokingman

You could try searching the 1911 census here: http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/

• Advertisement

Thanks for your time Pinky, he was in mountjoy and on hunger strike, was from Blackrock, I have found the census form for his family and he didn't have a sister called Brenda.

21/25

• Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

uch wrote: »
    Thanks for your time Pinky, he was in mountjoy and on hunger strike, was from Blackrock, I have found the census form for his family and he didn't have a sister called Brenda.
    Found this:
    http://www.geocities.com/irelandSCW/band-Mooney.htm
    He was born in November 1902 in South Dublin. By December 1936 he had married Patricia, with whom he had three children, with a fourth on the way when he decided to answer the call by General Eoin O'Duffy to join the Irish Brigade fighting for General Franco in Spain.

That's him alright Syco, thanks for that, gives me something else to go by.

21/25

Advertisement