Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Audi A3 Gearbox Gone - after 80k Miles

Options
  • 11-09-2009 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 41

Wondering if anyone can offer advice here, I bought an Audi A3 last July,1.6, 04, with 74k miles on the clock, FSH, with a 12 month warranty.

I've only put about 6k miles on it since then but the gearbox went on it last week and its going to cost the guts of 700-800eur to get it replaced,

I'm wondering if its worth complaining to Audi about the fault seeing as its such a serious one both for the car and financially for me? Or is there any other avenue I can explore around potentially not having to pay that amount of money out to get it fixed? 80k on an Audi gearbox to me seems like a ridiculous amount of miles for it to develop a fault, maybe I'm wrong though...

Oh yeah and the garage I bought it from has closed (although i was out of the warranty by about 5 weeks anyway) so I can't go back to them about it either

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bmm

We have a 1.6 Audi 1998 with 130k miles and gearbox is still smooth as silk. Not sure if Audi were using the same gearbox 6 years later though. Sounds like your car had a rough previous owner or you got a monday morning gearbox. 800 euro sounds about right.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,138 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

I doubt you will get any joy from Audi as the car is 5 years old and well outside of their original warranty. But as the man says you don't know for sure until you ask.

Does the car have a full documented Audi service history? This can only add weight to your claim.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 DubSpur81

bazz26 wrote: »
    I doubt you will get any joy from Audi as the car is 5 years old and well outside of their original warranty. But as the man says you don't know for sure until you ask.

Does the car have a full documented Audi service history? This can only add weight to your claim.

I'm dropping down to the garage later on and I'll check the book, I'm not 100% as to whether they are all Audi services or not though, sure I'll give them a buzz then and see what happens

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 RMM555

My friend bought a a3 1.6 new shape there about 3 months ago with 82,000miles. the gearbox went in it about a month ago. Nolans Garage in Newtown forbes had it rebuilt and serviced the car also for about 700euro. I know the girl that owned it before her as well and it definatly wasnt an abused car. I thought it was weird untill i read your post. just must be a comment problem with them?? they are a great car otherwise!!

Advertisement