Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car sale Query

Options
  • 11-09-2009 9:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 21

Hey Folks,

Just want to know whats the procedure when selling a car privately.
    I presume cash is the safest way of recieving payment , i have to
    send away the transfer of ownership form, ( where can i get these).
    Anything else i need to know,

Cheers
    P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭patrickc

Pizzle79 wrote: »
    Hey Folks,

Just want to know whats the procedure when selling a car privately.
    I presume cash is the safest way of recieving payment , i have to
    send away the transfer of ownership form, ( where can i get these).
    Anything else i need to know,

Cheers
    P

cash is the easiest but be careful loads of dud 50's and good ones out there at the mo.
    if your getting paid by bank draft or cheque, do NOT sign over the car until they clear into your a/c.

the change of ownership form, is on the back of your log book.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 Pizzle79

Cheers Patrick , im in cork and will be traveling to Dublin with the car to hand it over. I think its a cash payment , anyone have any advice on how i can check notes on the spot apart from calling into a shop/petrol station where they will prob tell me to shag off anyway. im pretty sure i have the logbook , if not how do i get a replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

UV light? You should be able to get a battery operated one. I had one but it died. Try a gadget shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭patrickc

Pizzle79 wrote: »
    Cheers Patrick , im in cork and will be traveling to Dublin with the car to hand it over. I think its a cash payment , anyone have any advice on how i can check notes on the spot apart from calling into a shop/petrol station where they will prob tell me to shag off anyway. im pretty sure i have the logbook , if not how do i get a replacement.

just give them a good feel, the hologram should be raised on them, would the buyer not meet you half way to cork?

theres a form RF134 you need to get stamped by the Gardai and return then with 12 euro, a new one will be posted out to you, can take a few weeks so hope you have the old one.

in any case the form is available from motortax.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 21,242 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I think you can get pens that can test the notes. You could also just ask for a bank transfer, or even meet the buyer at a branch of your bank and lodge the cash there and then. Personally I wouldn't like to be carrying around a good bit of cash anyway, so this could be a safe option.
    patrickc wrote:
    do NOT sign over the car until they clear into your a/c.

I'm not 100% sure on this, but I think it might initially clear but can be clawed back later if the draft is dodgy. This is how the scams work, so take care of that. You can ring the issuing bank with the draft number and ask them to verify it, but if that draft itself has been cloned, then it might still seem OK at first.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

do the transaction in a Garda station

Advertisement