Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Diagnose today's mechanical problem!

Options
  • 11-09-2009 9:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭

I was getting a lift into town today, and the driver says "Whoa!", her steering has gone weird, as though the car was hit by a sudden crosswind. It settles down again. At the next lights, we see steam from under the bonnet, and smell coolant, but the temp. is still OK, and no lights come on, so she presses on. She has one more weird steering moment before reaching her parking spot a few minutes later. Still no warning lights.

Once parked, I popped the bonnet, and all her coolant is gone. She's getting a mechanic to come and look.

Anyone care to guess what happened? I'm thinking something in the front right suspension gave way, causing the steering problem, and the broken rod/arm/whatever punctured a coolant pipe. (Car's an 02 V40).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,818 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Might the engine have cut out intermittently, thus depriving her of power steering?

• Registered Users Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

I like quiz’s, what’s the prize?

Sounds strange. Probably a belt issue. If the same belt drives the water pump and power steering that could account for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭alo1587

Sounds like a belt came off.Couldn't be anything to with the suspension bursting the coolant pipe as they're not near each other in the engine bay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Power steering fluid is still all there?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭greglo23

Coolant leak onto the power steering belt which causes it to slip. No power steering for a few seconds until the heat build up of the slipping belt dries it out and back comes your power steering.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

greglo23 wrote: »
    Coolant leak onto the power steering belt which causes it to slip. No power steering for a few seconds until the heat build up of the slipping belt dries it out and back comes your power steering.

That sounds good. I didn't hear anything in the suspension let go, power steering fluid was still OK, engine didn't cut out at any time.

Will let you know what the mechanic says...

Advertisement