Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Postgrad Immersion Course

Options
  • 11-09-2009 8:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭

Has anyone gotten an email about some Postgrad Immersion Course.it is supposed to from 21st Sept to 25th (mon to fri basically)

Apparently there are treasure hunts around DCU, Key Learning Technologies, Fast and Furious Exercise and Debrief and Team Building Workshop to name but a few.

As far as i know, this was not on the course outline, nor was it on the info I got from DCU with my student number and registration details.

Its manditory to go and marks go towards the end of year award. I dont see quite how they can do this.

Im in work that week completing a handover so going would be a bit of an issue.

Anyone know of this lark or is in the same boat?

Cheers

The Bin Man
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,251 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

No, I didn't get anything about this (so far anyway). I got an email the other day about an orientation day/morning type thing for my course and the other ones in the same school, but that's been it. Was it sent to your DCU email address? I'm still waiting for that to be set up.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Doyle_G

i haven't heard anything about it either because my e-mail address still isn't working yet but it sounds like a good idea!! I'm new to DCU this yr so it'd definately be helpful!!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 RBaggio

Has anyone gotten an email about some Postgrad Immersion Course.it is supposed to from 21st Sept to 25th (mon to fri basically)

Apparently there are treasure hunts around DCU, Key Learning Technologies, Fast and Furious Exercise and Debrief and Team Building Workshop to name but a few.

As far as i know, this was not on the course outline, nor was it on the info I got from DCU with my student number and registration details.

Its manditory to go and marks go towards the end of year award. I dont see quite how they can do this.

Im in work that week completing a handover so going would be a bit of an issue.

Anyone know of this lark or is in the same boat?

Cheers

The Bin Man

I got the same email to my own email account. Nothing about this was mentioned in the documentation sent out by dcu in the post. I checked and its worth 5 credits which is equivalent to 1 subject during a semester. I had assumed that the course was starting on 28th with a induction day on firday 25th based on the info they had posted out.

i got absolutley nothing about this e-mailed to me... could it just be for your own individual course? or is it for all post-grads in general?

Doyle_G wrote: »
    i got absolutley nothing about this e-mailed to me... could it just be for your own individual course? or is it for all post-grads in general?
    There was no mention of that in the email I got from the co-ordinator of my course the other day. I'm guessing (hoping) it's just something for their course(s) - those team-building things are usually cringe inducing.

• Advertisement

those team-building things are usually cringe inducing.

Couldn't agree more!! But i'm worrying because i can't access my e-mail or portal page so i'm afraid i'm missing stuff. I can't register for orientation either. I e-mailed my course coordinator to see if it's for all post-grads, waiting on a reply. is your e-mail and portal page working?

Doyle_G wrote: »
    Couldn't agree more!! But i'm worrying because i can't access my e-mail or portal page so i'm afraid i'm missing stuff. I can't register for orientation either. I e-mailed my course coordinator to see if it's for all post-grads, waiting on a reply. is your e-mail and portal page working?
    Nope, they're not working for me either and I registered on Wednesday too. I'm not that worried yet, the registration doesn't close till the 18th so if they are contacting people between now and then they'll have to use non-DCU email addresses. Well I'd imagine that's what they'd have to do anyway :)

Nope, they're not working for me either and I registered on Wednesday too.

I rang the computer centre yday about it so they just took my number and student number and said they'd ring me back.... might just be the changeover to googleapps... DCU don't seem to do things in an easy way!!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

i got it to my personal email address as havent registered yet

Here is the full email I got

Dear Applicant,
    Further to your offer of a place on the MSc in Electronic Commerce, we wish to advise you that this programme is one of three programmes that form part of the DCU Business School Next Generation Management initiative. To prepare you to succeed in the programme, we have designed a weeklong immersion course which will take place on the week commencing 21st September 2009. The Immersion Course sessions will run from 9am to 5pm each day until September 25th. Sessions will be primarily situated in Room QG15 on the Ground Floor of DCU Business School. The schedule for the week is summarised below:

Monday, September 21st 2009
    0900 – 1000: Introduction
    1000 – 1030: Introduction to Library
    1100 – 1130: Key Learning Technologies
    1130 – 1230: Orientation – Treasure Hunt
    1400 – 1600: Fast and Furious Exercise and Debrief

Tuesday, September 22nd 2009
    0900 – 1000: Introduction to Analytic Reasoning
    1030 – 1200: Living Library: Meet the Alumni
    1400 – 1600: Introduction to the Case Method

Wednesday, September 23rd 2009
    0900 – 1300: Presentation Skills – Carr Communications
    1400 – 1600: Recap on Analytical Tools

Thursday, September 24th 2009
    0900 – 1700: Team Building Workshop – Hosca Management Consultants

Friday, September 25th 2009
    0900 – 1000: Case Discussion
    1000 – 1200: Library Database Skills
    1400 – 1600: Introduction to Practicum and Dissertation
    1600 – 1700: Wine Reception

The Immersion Course is a mandatory component in your programme. As such, attendance and completion of assignments from this course contributes to your final award. The Immersion Course will provide you with valuable skills and information to succeed both in your programme and indeed your future career.

I look forward to seeing you on the 21st and working with you over the next year.

A load of balls you'll agree!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Medievalist

It sounds like it's just for Business School students. Sounds a bit pants tbh. But then again, if you start off with 5 credits before the first day of the course even starts that can't be too bad!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15 theolynn

Hi all,

It is good to see the immersion course is provoking discussion.

To clear up some points. As the application process only recently closed, we were delayed in contacting everyone about the immersion course. I apologise for this. As I was travelling, I used my gmail account to notify applicants and this may have caused some confusion (although I did copy my dcu account). It was sent to personal email accounts to ensure all applicants received it.

The course is only available to students on the MSc in Ecommerce, the MSc in Business Management and the MBS in Marketing. It was designed in response to student feedback on requirements to succeed in what are quite challenging programmes.

The module is not a free 5 credits. In fact students have to attend a significant number of hours of contact time and complete a wide variety of assignments during the week and by the end of October.

Students who have difficulties with the scheduled week have typically emailed me and I have explained the requirements for the course and I am happy to discuss this with applicants on a case by case basis.

Again, I look forward to meeting applicants and discussing this in greater detail with individuals on a case by case basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭brownbinman

as for me, i've worked it out with work to leave this week and work with them so shouldnt be much of an issue

as a newbie to DCU, i thought it would be great to go, not knowing anyone etc etc

sure its only a week...a few credits is a nice bonus though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 theolynn

Hi Shane St.,

Yes, it was mandatory last year - the immersion course also includes required sessions for the IMCA graduate programme.

Rgds

Theo

Advertisement