Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does this mean?

Options
  • 11-09-2009 1:50am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi... I was wondering if someone could explain to me the history or tradition of when people me at the crossroads of their town/village.
    Recently at concert, someone explained in earlier times people would meet at the crossroads to talk, listen to music, tell stories, sing, dance, etc.. to keep culture and tradition alive but I couldn't remember why people met at the crossroads in town.. was it illegal to meet in the homes?? Was this before pubs?
    Thanks! :)

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭BossArky

I guess people would meet at the crossroads because it is where the major roads intersect i.e. it is a focal point.

Probably easier than saying "lets meet in the 3rd barley field behind the 2nd hillock to the right of the 4th pond" :)

Advertisement